MacBook to TV using Mini DVI to HDMI - No Picture

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TaddGood, Sep 22, 2009.

1. TaddGood macrumors newbie

I feel like I've read every thread on every forum, and they all cover the same issues. I've spent FAR too many hours trying to hook this up and I'm asking for your help. I have the mini dvi to hdmi adapter, with the hdmi going into the tv. I only have one hdmi input on my TV so I know it's turned to the right input. I've tried mirroring, I've tried switching hdmi cables, and even bought another adapter. I had the picture up yesterday just clicking on settings but it was when the screen wasn't mirrored, and it was treating it as another display. Now I can't even get that to work. I've tried every resolution. I plug it in, and detect the monitor, and it brings up two windows. One is "color lcd" and the other is "TSB-H66S". I'm guessing my macbook monitor is the color lcd. What could I be doing wrong where the tv won't show the picture?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

What kind of TV is it?

Google turns up nothing under that code. If you're not in the US or another NTSC country, are you sure you're outputting the proper PAL signal? If you're in the US or an NTSC country, that shouldn't matter.

3. TaddGood thread starter macrumors newbie

Toshiba TheaterWide HD 30". Not an lcd but has 1080i and 720p. I know I had it hooked up as side by side yesterday at some point.

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Well, the user manual can be found here: http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/models/30hf84/docs/30hf84_om_e.pdf

On page 14 is the DVI/HDMI information. There's a note "This TV is not intended for connection and should not be used with a personal computer." At first thought I'd imagine that's just because it's a CRT and that's Toshiba's way of removing liability from desktop image burn-in, and the like. They also mention specifically that it takes input from HDCP devices, which I'm not sure if the MacBook satisfies that criteria. (I don't think it does when it comes to external displays, internally it should)

I know you said you tried all resolutions, but are you running Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard? In SL, you can specify "TV" resolutions in the display window, and gain more control over the "overscan" feature. You'll also want to make sure you're not outputting 1080p signal, as the TV won't be able to handle that input.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It’s likely showing no picture because you’re trying display a resolution it can’t accept. Do you have Boot Camp on your MacBook? Custom resolutions are much easier to setup in Windows using the graphic card manufacturer’s control panel. You could use the information you get from their control panels to create a custom resolution on the Mac side using SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX.

And regarding the HDTV manual, a lot of HDTV manufacturers claim their TV’s don’t support a PC connection just so they don’t have to deal with the support. There’s usually no technical reason they can’t support a PC connection.

6. TaddGood thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running Tiger. As far as 1080p I have no idea how to change that. I know it works because I had it as the left monitor, but I clicked on something and it went away. So frustrating. I don't have bootcamp.

7. TaddGood thread starter macrumors newbie

At this point I dont even want to watch vids from my computer on my tv. I just want to get it working because I've spent so many hours trying to have it work and fail on me. I'm very happy I don't own a sledge hammer because both the tv and the macbook would be in tiny pieces at this point. I'm desperate.