Macbook to TV via DVI-HDMI not working

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cooper3k, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Cooper3k macrumors newbie

Hi. I have recently bought a Mini DVI-DVI cable and a DVI-HDMI cable to connect my 2006 Macbook to my Samsung 40" 1080p LCD TV. I've connected it all up to one of the HDMI ports on my TV but my TV just says 'No Signal.' I have been fiddling with it for a while and have tried reconnecting all the cables, restarted my macbook, turning off my TV and then trying again. I just can't seem to get it to work. My macbook won't detect any other displays when I click 'detect display' in system preferences and I've tried it on every resolution between 640x480 and 1280x800 and it still doesn't work. It is driving me mad as I've tried EVERYWHERE for troubleshooting guides but nothing works. :mad:

This is the DVI to HDMI cable I bought: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260371351000

Thanks in advance.

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

3. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Have you got a DVI port on your TV or monitor? First thing to check would be the mini DVI->DVI adaptor to make sure that's working. If so, have you got anything else that's HDMI to test the TV's input? It's just a process of elimination really.

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

Have you tried any other HDMI ports on the TV

5. Cooper3k thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried port 4 and port 3. I have also tried it on another HDMI port on another TV. And also used a different DVI-HDMI cable. I'm assuming its the Mini DVI-DVI port then. Damn. Needed it working by tomorrow. Cr*p!!! Thanks guys/gals

6. aviddk macrumors regular

We just did this last weekend with an ExtremeMac cable DVI to HDMI and my wife's MBP. We put the MBP to sleep hooked up the DVI, changed the TV/Video setting on the TV to HDMI then awakened the MBP. There was a blank screen while the MBP detected the displays parameters then the MBP desktop appeared on the TV.

7. Cooper3k thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out it was the Mini DVI to DVI that was faulty. I bought a new one and it worked no problems. Does anyone know how I can get the sound working? I have a 3.5mm jack to a R/L (Red/White) phono ports.