Macbook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krees91, Jan 13, 2008.

1. krees91 macrumors newbie

I would like to connect my MacBook to my Mikomi TV. I am aware that I need to buy a Mini DVI to DVI cable ASWELL AS a DVI to HDMI for the connection to work. I was wondering if someone could confirm this. Also, I was wondering if it would work vice versa (e.g. Watch TV on my MacBook) ? Thx

2. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

Yes that is the correct way to do it.. i do it on my MBP.. where as you have a macbook you would need the extra mini dvi to dvi convertor..
    the picture is amazing on hi-def tv's...

I am not aware of any ways to watch tv on your macbook the way you want to do it, however you can watch tv on your mac if you use an eyetv..

Hope this helps.:)
    :apple::apple:

3. krees91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx coolant, I know there is a product that will let you watch TV on your MacBook which is EyeTV Hybrid which I may get soon. Also, I was wondering if you understood my second question. Apologies if you did. Is it possible to display whatever is on the TV on my MacBook, NOT to watch Digital or Terrestial televison on there ? Thx 4 reading and ur help :)

4. McGiord, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

There is a way you can feed HD content, even record it via Firewire to your Mac.
    Search for other posts and you'll get more details.

I think that maybe you could connect a firewire video camera with input from your TV tuner, or VHS, cable, etc to see the video on your mac.
    Your Mac may see the signal as a videocamera.

Anyway there are some IPTVs services out there, and the slingboxes.
    ________
    grape ape

5. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

Do you mean like displaying cable tv on your mac book?... or what your computer is displaying?.. because when you set up your macbook to your tv.. it is going to act as a mirror of what you are displaying on your laptop or as a secondary display... by pressing F7 you can change that?? secondary display as being like a second desktop to use and put windows on it..:apple::apple:

6. krees91 thread starter macrumors newbie

:) I'll put it into basic terms because I talk crap sometimes. I want a cable to go from my TV into my MacBook and when I do that, I want to use an application on my mac (or press a button) to show whatever is on the TV. So if I am watching Comedy Central on my TV it would display on my Mac, if I was playing Halo on my TV, it would display on my Mac etc.

Sorry for any confusion. Thx

7. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

o ok.. yea i am not familiar with any piece of equipment or software for that use... sorry:apple:

8. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

9. nslyax macrumors regular

If I am understanding right, you are looking for the next product up from the EyeTV Hybrid you mentioned. The EyeTV 250 Plus, for example, has S-Video and Composite input, along with the coax cable port. This would let you run a cable from your TV to your MacBook and see whatever in on your TV on your computer monitor.

There are several similar products on eBay, most older ElGato products have this ability.

Also, some miniDV camcorders have component in ports, that you can use to view anything with a component out on your monitor, using the camcorder like the EyeTV product.

This all requires that you have a video out on your TV though, or you have a cable box and split the signal to the TV and to the computer.