MacBook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by djstarrock, Nov 17, 2009.

1. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Hi, I'm wanting to connect my MacBook which has a mini DVI to so it displays on my TV which has Scart and Composite and I think S-Video, I'm also wanting to get sound from my computer through my TV. How would I do this?

Macbook:
    Mini-DVI

My TV:
    Scart
    S-Video (maybe)
    Composite

2. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

A setup like these should work

An adapter like this one should work for the video. It gives you S-video as well as composite video. You can probably find one cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

For the audio, any mini-audio to RCA audio cable should work fine for analog sound. If you want digital, it gets a bit more complicated. Just to keep things simple, a cable from amazon like this would work. Again, I'm sure you can find one cheaper somewhere else.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

3. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

5. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

what specific macbook do you have. If you got it in the last year it will not work with the above adapters. It definitely will not work with the apple adapter. If you got it more than a year ago you should be fine. Umm, it changed whenever they changed the video card inside.

6. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

What do you mean it won't work, it's MacBook 4,1 and has the Intel GMA X3100 graphics chip.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You're fine, he was referring to the 9400M setup MacBooks.

8. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the confusion

Sounds like DavieBoy knows more about this than I do. I'd go by what he says. My MacBook has the MiniDisplayPort, so I have no real experience with the mini-DVI, although my fiancé has one of the MacBooks with it, so I am interested in this as well. I guess it a good thing I never picked up that adapter for her computer.

Sorry for the confusion.

9. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Ah, thanks.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'm pretty sure he was referencing that you cannot go from MiniDisplayPort-->S-video/composite just be connecting adapters.

11. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Exactly right, at my job people use the adapter to TV's a lot. The last two batches we ordered (150 in February & 150 in June) do not work with the adapters. Guess who has to hear about it everyday. As if I was the one who took away the functionality. I just wish Apple, who designed our systems with the analog TV's 10 years ago gave us a heads up that the computers would no longer work with the other stuff they sold us. ha salesmen