Macbook top case help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by clemson tiger, Jan 18, 2011.

1. clemson tiger macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook, the white 13" one, back in June 2009 for college and the top case where my right palm rests now has a crack. I didn't buy the Applecare extended warranty with the laptop. However, people online said that the cracks are somewhat of a common problem for the MacBook and that Apple fixes this for free as long as the problem occurred within 3 years of the purchase date and that the crack naturally occurred.

1. Since the original 1 year warranty expired and I don't have Applecare, will Apple fix the top case for free even though I don't have Applecare?

2. I called Apple's support center at 1-800-275-2273 to try to talk to someone but the answer machine won't transfer me to a representative b/c I don't have some $49.99 plan or something like that.Should I just call my local Apple store and would they have the authorization to fix it or should I call some different number?

I know this is a lot but any help will clearly be appreciated.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

If you are close to an Apple Store, I would recommend making an appointment with the Genius and taking it in. They may be able to fix it on the spot.

3. Barkaritaville macrumors newbie

I posted in another thread a while back, but I took my 2006 MacBook in to an Apple store with the same issue and they fixed it for free, no questions asked. It was actually over three years old and they did not blink an eye. They also replaced my hard drive for free as well as it had failed and was covered under an extended warranty they had in place at the time. I would make a genius appointment and take it in if you have an apple store near by. I also had my power adapter replaced a few years back out of warranty when it failed. So I'm three for three so far for getting repairs done for free outside of the original one year warranty.

4. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

I second that !

"I took my 2006 MacBook in to an Apple store with the same issue and they fixed it for free, no questions asked. It was actually over three years old and they did not blink an eye... I would make a genius appointment and take it in if you have an apple store near by... So I'm three for three so far for getting repairs done for free outside of the original one year warranty..."

I have a Sept 2006 macbook with 2 case replacements, a hard drive guides replaced and a botched ssd partition upgrade :confused:(two separate incidents) all without Apple Care and the last incident was the botched job happened Drumroll.... Dec 2010 (4 yrs & 3 mths).

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine