Macbook Top Case not lining up... Anyone else have his problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mademan118, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mademan118 macrumors regular

So I just purchased my Macbook YESTERDAY. I just noticed now that my Top Case (the screen) is not coming down and lining up exactly with the bottom case. On the right side (where you place your Right Palm, same side as the Optical Drive) it hangs off by about 2 MM. Now I know its only 2 MM, but I am extremely anal (more like OCD) about things being flush, and it is driving me crazy right now. My question is, is this normal? Anyone else have this problem? If not, I am going to return it and have it exchanged tomorrow (hopefully I will get a LG/Phillips Screen :p)

PLEASE, any advice would be helpful. My OCD is killing me, I don't even want to use this lap top now!

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

first...you need to relax and calm down....second, no mine doesn't do that at all.

3. patin22 macrumors member

:D

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

go to the next apple store and compare to the macbooks there. then ask for an exchange.

maybe wait a few weeks till they update the macbooks and try the exchange then.

i personally wouldn't care at all. it doesn't matter if you suffer now through OCD or in a couple of days when you have the first scratch or dent on it. it's a tool to be used. nothing more.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ever been pissed off when someone you know makes a fraudulent insurance claim, and you think damn he's just pushing up the cost of insurance for the rest of us?

Well thats what it feels like.

I'm sorry, I know you should have a good product for the money you pay, but this is getting stupid. Do you even notice it when not looking at it closely, does it hinder your work? No. I can't wait until a few weeks down the line when its covered in fine scratches, and the palmrest area has a glossy sheen to it like every other macbook in the world. They won't replace it then.

6. dingus macrumors member

My MacBook is the same way, but I'm not from the Isle of Spaz so I really couldn't care less.

7. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

I did take it back to the apple store, compared it to all the other models on the floor, and none of them were like this. I also exchanged it because the corners of my screen were very dim, unlike the rest of the screen.

So far so good though. New one lines-up completely, and I got a Chi-Mei screen instead of a Samsung screen.

8. johnsy macrumors 6502

Good man, now find some kinda other flaw and change to LG/philips screen. I checked in a Best buy and oh boy, LG/Philips looks awesome compared with chimein junk. LG is more brighter and I would say you can see more colors than chimein.

When you pay top $$$$ you expect flawless stuff and 2 millimeters is way off a standard. I mean how would you feel when you stare all day long to a screen and see this 2 millimeter problem, you might get insomnia just because of that. At some point it is dangerous for your health. You might gain even some extra weight just because of these two millimeters. Don't worry about Apple, you have to let them know that they have poor quality control and besides they should be happy that in such bad economy you buy their luxury stuff. Besides you made someone happy who is looking for refurbished laptop. Apple's market share is growing and we don't want to get cheapened up product, we expect quality, that is why we buy Apple to begin with. So heads up!!!

9. ManWithhat macrumors regular

Mine's the same amount off on the same side. Well, my wife's. I'm afraid if I tell her, she'll make me use hers and buy a new one rather than vice versa.

10. mademan118 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha I wouldnt mind getting an LG/Phillips screen, however I wish there was a way of knowing exactly which one came with an LG/Phillips monitor. I would actually say that my samsung panel was brighter then the Chi-Mein monitor. This colors are pretty washed out, but with some screen calibration it works out okay. To be honest I would have never noticed all the problems if I would have never came to this forum. It wasn't until I came here and appledefects did I start to find all kinds of issues with the laptop. I still might take this one back anyways because of the screen. Although I am nervous about taking it back and getting a cheap another samsung panel. Heck it even says on the receipt:

If you are not completely satisfied with your Apple product......yada yada yada return it for a new one.

If I didn't care about screen quality and a quality computer, I would have picked up a $300 laptop from bestbuy, break it every year, and just buy a new one. But no, I paid $1100 for this laptop, and I want to make sure that everything is perfect (perfect for me). Not only that, I am a college student. I worked hard to be able to afford this, and I want to make sure I get the best thing for my money. Would you take a Ferrari with tons of Overspray and discoloration? I don't think so.

Anyways, get the Incase Hard Case and Logitech VX Nano Mouse.. Both things are pretty cool.

11. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

My refurb MacBook does this as well. I've never thought much about it to take it up with Apple, but it can be annoying. Whats more annoying is when the screen is closed you can wiggle it left to right. The MacBook's are very poorly constructed, much more so than my iBook was.

12. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Ignore the people who do not have this problem, and get it replaces/fixed ASAP. I listened to these same people telling me I was being fussy...13 months down the line (and just out of warranty) this problem causes cracks in my machine. I will take pictures later. But basically if you look above the monitor, the 2 latches there will rub against the more delicate plastic and cause it to crack...the only way these 2 latches can be supported is by being PERFECTLY in line with the bottom half of the mac. You paid $1000 for this machine, its your right as a consumer for them to fix this flaw.

my pics similar to these:
    http://www.appledefects.com/index.php?s=macbook+crack&submit=

get it replaces, ignore the fan boys

13. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I had this same problem with an old iBook - still under warranty. The Apple store said this was "user" caused, but it wasn't. I called Applecare and they sent me a box and I let them fix it. Nothing out of pocket on my end.

14. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i remember my macbook had this issue, i didnt know i could have gotten it replaced :(

15. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

yeah mine came back from a repair that way - misaligned a few millimeters (plus a few scratches), but in Thailand, getting anything back from repair in one piece is good enough.;) I realize your MacBook is brand new, but there are bigger things to worry about in life.

16. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

If it makes you feel better, I sent mine in this week because of that problem, and they replaced the display. Only 16 days old. I didn't take it to the apple store, I just sent it in, I called in to find out if they would repair it, and the notes said that the engineer could reproduce the problem, and it said it was replaced. So apparently it is a big problem with a lot of people.

Edit: I have a MPB though. So it probably is different, but be assured you will probably get it replaced.

17. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

18. marvel2 macrumors 6502

19. Zadiek macrumors member

Mine is off a few mm. I try to not have it bother me, but it still does. LondonGooner, could you post pics of your macbook? I would like to see the damage that could potentially happen due to this problem.

20. johnsy macrumors 6502

checked links. Man, I like mooing sound- you get a free spec effect - a cow with every (or at least some, but you have to discover some kinda animal in others too) macbook!!!:)

21. LondonGooner macrumors regular

I would love to, but my mac is also suffering from Wifi problems...ill try tonight.

As much as i love the macbook, its got me in a rotten mood these days

22. muldul macrumors 6502

I have had the exact same problem. I just got off the phone with apple, and they are giving me a new macbook replacement. I suggest you call them

23. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

It's normal. Mine has been a little off since day one... And I have had it just over a year. It's off by a very little bit, but because it's not flush you can tell by running your finger on the edge.

24. ManWithhat macrumors regular

My wife has had hers for about 2 months. Does anyone think they'd still replace it?

25. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I doubt they would replace it. Odds are they'll replace the display.