MacBook top case replacement, OUT of warranty (UK)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MalcolmJID, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I've had a quick search but couldn't seem to see if anyone from the UK had any luck getting the top case replaced out of warranty for the cracks develop underneath the display lid's little legs?

I got my MacBook in Oct '06 and did not buy Apple Care etc, so I'm almost a year out of warranty, what are the chances of me getting it replaced for free? :rolleyes:

2. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I managed to get my Oct '06 MacBook casing replaced but you have to fight hard.

Complain about everything you can think of, DVD/CD drive, Heat, Fan Noise, Screen looks odd, palm rests get dirty... the list goes on (not to forget to mention the cracks!).

Tell them it's unacceptable and that you will go to the consumer complains commission (UK not sure of US equiv.) unless the problems are sorted.

Also mention that you've seen loads of these problems on the internet so you know that you're not the only one.

They gave me free Apple Care (even though i was out of warranty) and replaced the optical drive, logic board, casing (most of which was scratched heavily due to my misuse!) and even the keyboard because i complained about the keys.

Very few people get this sort of success but its worth doing... Damned cracks!!

3. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply! I'd be quite happy with just a top case replacement, as I intend to sell this laptop on and go for a new MacBook Pro around October (will be in Uni and get discount etc) as I'm doing a course in Sound Engineering and I could do with a more powerful laptop, but selling a MacBook with cracks would be quite hard (or hard to get a decent price anyway).

Just out of curiosity, what could I expect for a 2 year old MacBook. (Specs in sig, obviously upgraded RAM and HDD). If I got a new top case it'd be as good as new as I look after it. (Never dropped etc)

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Is it a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo ? October 2006 was around when they changed.

If you sell on Ebay.co.uk then around £400-450 (assuming new top case) - more than you might imagine !!

5. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Core Duo. Plus I plan on buying a new battery too, as this one is pretty much dead. Shame they're £100 from Apple! :rolleyes:

6. logana macrumors 65816

logana

then don't buy from Apple - eBay.com - lot's of sellers - don't pay much more than £40 or so delivered (in about 5 days).

7. MalcolmJID thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tip, never thought of checking eBay, I guess I would have doubted the authenticity of them.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Have a look at this for example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-MacBook-13-Black-Battery-Excellent-Condition_W0QQitemZ130243978062QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130243978062&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1318

It is a black Macbook battery but I bought a white one a few months ago and if you e-mail I am sure he will have a white one !

Mine arrived in about 4 days by Courier (very Customs-friendly) from California to Scotland - and it is free shipping to the USA if you know anybody there !
    I think my battery had 6 cycles on it. About £42 total cost.