Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
i shut down my MacBook mid 2009, next time I went to use it nothing, totally dead, thought it might be a flat battery, connected the charger, the light glowed dimly green, but nothing like normal, left it for a few hours, still nothing, tried disconnecting the battery even with that disconnected could only get the dim light still dead, did get it booted once but even with the charger disconnected, it said no battery present. Charger is fine as have connected it to another MacBook. Any ideas, as I'm stumped, surely if it's a battery problem it should boot from charger with battery disconnected.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
i shut down my MacBook mid 2009, next time I went to use it nothing, totally dead, thought it might be a flat battery, connected the charger, the light glowed dimly green, but nothing like normal, left it for a few hours, still nothing, tried disconnecting the battery even with that disconnected could only get the dim light still dead, did get it booted once but even with the charger disconnected, it said no battery present. Charger is fine as have connected it to another MacBook. Any ideas, as I'm stumped, surely if it's a battery problem it should boot from charger with battery disconnected.

Did you try resetting the SMC? Hopefully it'll spring it into life ...

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Yep tried that a few dozen times, it was after this it did boot, saying battery 0%, and clicking on the battery with a cross through it, bought up the message no battery present. It had booted from the battery, but once I shut it down nothing, and been dead since. connected the charger at this point, it still glowed very dim.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yep tried that a few dozen times, it was after this it did boot, saying battery 0%, and clicking on the battery with a cross through it, bought up the message no battery present. It had booted from the battery, but once I shut it down nothing, and been dead since. connected the charger at this point, it still glowed very dim.

Maybe try unplug power, leave for 15 minutes, hold down power button for 30 seconds to hopefully discharge. Plug power cable back in, try turn on again. It's definitely the battery though I don't know if the MLB could be shorted too.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I have tried that, I was worried about the Logic board, but the fact it started once, and was working fine, except for the fact it was not registering the battery, even though it was what was powering it. But as I said once I shut it down nothing. If I plug the charger into another MacBook, then plug it into the dead one, the charger light glows bright green for about two minutes, then goes back to the dim glow.

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I have tried that, I was worried about the Logic board, but the fact it started once, and was working fine, except for the fact it was not registering the battery, even though it was what was powering it. But as I said once I shut it down nothing. If I plug the charger into another MacBook, then plug it into the dead one, the charger light glows bright green for about two minutes, then goes back to the dim glow.
Ok at this minute i am typing this on the macbook in question, i have avery dim light on the charger, the computer says the battery has 0% charge. I assume its running on the battery though it has a battery icon, with a cross through it. not sure if it will restart if i turn it off. Anyone have any ideas what tests i can run that might show where the fault lies.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How old is the battery that is in there now?

If it's the original-issue, probably time to replace it.

Then again, it could be the -charger- going bad on you (and hence, the battery never being charged).

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
How old is the battery that is in there now?

If it's the original-issue, probably time to replace it.

Then again, it could be the -charger- going bad on you (and hence, the battery never being charged).
OP already tried the charger on another MacBook; "Charger is fine as have connected it to another MacBook."

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Ok at this minute i am typing this on the macbook in question, i have avery dim light on the charger, the computer says the battery has 0% charge. I assume its running on the battery though it has a battery icon, with a cross through it. not sure if it will restart if i turn it off. Anyone have any ideas what tests i can run that might show where the fault lies.

Open System Report and look under the Power section for what is reported about the battery.

Reactions: CoastalOR

janitor1999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Have looked in there and there is nothing of use, most of the information I expected to find like how many charge cycles, battery health and so on are missing, even downloaded coconut but that has no useful information either. The battery is the original, when the MacBook went wrong the battery had a 95% charge, I have had over an hours use, and it still going strong, but when the battery does go flat I have no way to recharge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.