Macbook Tower?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kdimitt, May 10, 2009.

1. kdimitt macrumors member

Okay, I recently acquired a Dell 2408WFP monitor...its amazing. Anyways, my desk is quite small and just setting my macbook out on the desk is taking up space and I have a cooling pad which takes up even more space. Summer is coming up and im planning on "building" a tower to put it in. I know this sounds kind of strange but I want to build a completely custom case not just buy and empty tower and put it in it. Design wise im having no problems, but I'm concerned with the material I should use to build the tower. Due to limited technology I will most likely use metal because I have access to a plasma cutter and a MIG welder. I need suggestions on the type of metal I should use. Im not sure what prices run on most metals but I need something durable and cheap. Also I plan to custom mount some fans inside the tower to cool it, but I need a way to power them and I don't want to buy a big tower power supply (the point is space saving and cheap). Any suggestions on type of material to build it or power supply will be greatly appreciated! If you have any designs or other suggestions I'm all ears as well! :)

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I'd say to take a thing or two from Apple's book and go with aluminum. It is durable, pretty easy to get, and relatively cheap. Not to mention, it is way lighter than say steel so it will be much easier to transport and work with. Good luck! You should post pictures when you are done. I'm sure that some of us here would love to check it out.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

For the fan power, all you'll need is something that can supply an amp or two of 12v DC. You might be able to find something that will let you avoid a whole computer power supply.

4. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

aluminum is easier to work with than steel...... are you kidding haha

try using basic welding skills on aluminum and see if it holds up

5. kdimitt thread starter macrumors member

I had the same thought..I would like to use aluminum if that is at all possible but is there any way manipulate it without CNC, computer numerical control, because I don't have access to something like that.