Macbook trackpad and keyboard not working?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by istanbul05, Jan 10, 2009.

1. istanbul05 macrumors member

Hi, i was just using my Macbook normally and it came up with an error like IP was in use or something with the red exclamation mark. The my internet stopped working so i just restarted it.

Now my Macbook is literally not working? I can turn it on but when i get to the login screen, my mouse or keyboard are not working!! So all i can do is hold the power button to turn off. It appears OSX is still running fine though because the screen dims after a while and the flashing | in the name input bar is still flashing.

Please help me.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Reset your PRAM

Hold Command-Option-P-R as soon as you power on, until you hear the chime again.

3. istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for the quick reply, but it still doesnt work :(

I help the buttons and it did the reset, but nothing works still. Also the green light on the caps button doesnt even come on when i press it. Do you have any idea what is wrong with it?

Many Thanks

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. It did it the 1st time, then it reset and i heard it again...

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Ok, that means the keyboard does work ...

Hmmm, I'm stumped, anything I could tell you to try requires input from either the KB, mouse or both ...

7. istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

I just tried booting by shift mode by pressing shift after the chime and it has the same end result :(

Will the fact i have upgraded the HDD and ram affect anything with Apple? (This was done like 6 months ago as soon as i bought the machine) I have Applecare with it so i may have to pop in tomorrow if i cannot get it fixed tonight.

Thanks for the help though.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If it is the regular MB, then no, upgrades will not affect anything - both are user upgradeable.

The Apple Store is your best bet at this point, good luck, and let us know what's wrong.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm guessing a loose connection to the keyboard and trackpad?

10. roger6106 macrumors regular

11. istanbul05 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, i have tried starting it in safe mode and the same thing happens, it boots up in safe mode but i can't do anything at the login page.

I don't think anything is loose because it seems to recognise the keyboard commands at the start, such as the reset and safe mode boot. Will take it to apple on Monday and hopefully get it sorted.

Cheers