Macbook trackpad error

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mnemonicj, Jun 23, 2011.

1. mnemonicj, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

mnemonicj macrumors member

mnemonicj

Hello everyone.

I think this is my first thread, but anyways I wanted to know if anyone can help out with this error I've been ignoring for some time now. Whenever I want to click on a button or do an action with my trackpad, the clicks sometimes do not respond as they're supposed to. I've recreated the error here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFCpZiUM3-E.

I thought it was a general problem with the OS, but I've tried on several different Mac's and only in my machine can I replicate the error whenever I want to. Notice, that when I hover my cursor over the close button, I click my trackpad several times and only when I move it away and come back to it can I successfully do the intended action. This happens on every program, finder window, any window, etc.

But, I'm almost sure it isn't a hardware problem, since I can replicate the error with a bluetooth mouse too. Also, I run several virtual machines(windows, linux, etc.) and I've never ran into the same problem there.

Best regards.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

First of all, kudos on actually making a video to show what's going on. That'll stop a lot of questions people would've had.

As you said, it's most likely not a hardware problem but rather a driver problem. You could try reinstalling OS X on top of itself. You shouldn't lose any info but make a backup (Time Machine, SuperDuper, CCC, etc.) just in case.

3. mnemonicj thread starter macrumors member

mnemonicj

Thanks for your reply. I've actually thought about reinstalling the OS, and I'm thinking about using Carbon Copy Cloner for the backup. But I really want to try to avoid this, basically since I've customized this OS so much. I know I can back everything up, and just restore but the image size'll be huge.

Can I just backup my files and applications, restore just that and have all of my applications working again? I am pretty sure a lot of the apps use extra files in my library folder and what not, but will this work?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've got some SIMBL plug-ins and did a TM backup when my hard drive was failing. When it was replaced I used Setup Assistant (Migration Assistant) to restore from the backup. Everything was exactly as I had had it just with a fresh install of Snow Leopard. SIMBL plug-ins worked and all. I can't guarantee it'll work perfectly but it did for me and has over several fresh OS X installs through the years.

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Most of mac apps are installed with a simple drag+drop of the .app file. Those will work, since they only need 1 file to work.
    If you have apps that went through an installation process, you may want to keep the .dmg files of those and reinstall them. Oh and in any of those cases, you will probably lose the configuration and setting changes you made on each app.

6. mnemonicj thread starter macrumors member

mnemonicj

Thanks a lot for both of your replies, really. But have any of you guys had this problem too? Is it really an error on my Mac?

7. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

I actually think I had it too on my macbook pro 15" (my brother uses it a year and a half now, so I don't really remember). I think it happens because the program you are clicking on isn't the "active" program but a background one. But from your video it seems you're in a browser both in the menu bar and the interface, so that probably isn't it.
    Does that non-responsive clicking happen when you close an app and click the one behind it?

8. mnemonicj thread starter macrumors member

mnemonicj

it happens whenever i want to minimize, close, expand, click on a link, click on my bookmarks, click on the menu, click on a different button, click on a program, click wherever i want to. it is definitely not limited to the buttons on the windows.

9. mnemonicj thread starter macrumors member

mnemonicj

well, i just wiped my HD, reinstalled snow leopard, and i still have the same exact problem. i noticed that there is a problem with my macbook model's trackpad, apple issued a firmware upgrade back in 2008 addressing an issue where the trackpad does not respond when clicked.

i already have this firmware on it. anybody else know what to do?

10. Djhyper66 macrumors newbie

this how i fix my trackpad

turn off the laptop, take off the cover, take out the battery, there small little screw on the track pad that gets loose, u tighten just a little , and it works again, it you make it too tight u can't press down at all. Try it.