macbook trackpad question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mshepherd, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mshepherd macrumors regular

when using my trackpad currently i rest my thumb on the the button and move the mouse with my index finger. Does the new trackpad allow you to rest your thumb on the bottom portion and move the mouse with the index finger or does this cause it to think you are trying to do a gesture like a pinch or something? I dont know what i would do with my thumb if I couldn't rest it on a button :).

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

from what ive seen (just playing with it a few min in at best buy) it seems to function the same (if not better) than the current trackpad ...

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There seems to be an invisible zone, about the size of the previous button, where in which 2 fingers do not register as a zoom. Or maybe it's that it can tell when one finger is not moving because it's clicking. Or maybe a click/hold deactivates the zoom. All I know is it seems to know what you intend to do. Pretty cool.

I only wish the "zones" were more configurable. There is no option for a middle click, which I use all the time on my desktop and Powerbook (via Sidetrack) to open links in tabs in Safari.

4. superxero3 macrumors regular

Yeah, that was the first thing i tried when i played with the new macbooks at the apple store. You can rest your thumb where you normally would, and it will work as clicking. On top of that you can click the right side of the bottom of the track (where the right-click button would be on a PC) and it will register it as a right-click. Nice one Apple :)

5. jade macrumors 6502

Firefox doesn't like the pinch and zoom, unfortunately. Guess I am back to Safari for the time being!

6. nomaded macrumors newbie

There is a PreferencePane called MultiClutch that'll allow you to map keystrokes to gestures. This allows me to use 3-finger swipe to go backwards and forwards in Firefox.