Macbook Trackpad Scrolling - Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Potomac, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Potomac macrumors member

Hi all,

New to this website and I'm by all means not a computer genius so please bear with me and I've been having some issues that I'm curious about and am hoping that I can get some answers hear. I bought a white Macbook about 9 months ago (switched from a PC) and I make great use of the two finger scrolling feature. I tend to put one finger on the bottom of the trackpad (just above the button) and scroll with another.

Sometimes while I'm scrolling through a website, the page "jumps" as if I did a quick motion or hit the space bar to move the page down and I then have to search back through the page I was on to where I was reading, etc. I'm curious if my trackpad has issues (everything else is fine and it only "jumps" occasionally) and needs repair or replacement. If not, is there any way to prevent this?

Thank you all for the help.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The jumps are most likely caused by the way you're placing your fingers. The 2-finger scroll is meant to work with both fingers next to each other.

By placing one at the bottom, and dragging your other finger to it, you can sometimes confuse the software that interprets the finger location, as you've given it two different touch locations. This could cause it to jump to the lower finger as the top finger catches up.

3. Potomac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I will try a different finger placement and see how it goes.