Macbook trackpad (slightly) jumpy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by isaac17, Mar 17, 2008.

1. isaac17 macrumors member

Hey,

I just got a refurbished macbook (2.2ghz, 1gb ram), restored from my old macbook pro's time machine backup, and I'm having issues with the trackpad. It's really jumpy, and get's stuck sometimes. I'm not sure if it's a hardware thing or a driver conflict... I've owned a macbook before (and a macbook pro) and it's never acted like this. I'm not pushing the system at all, and the problem is even here right after a reboot.

Help?

2. isaac17 thread starter macrumors member

This is strange: When I use more pressure, the trackpad seems to not be jumpy at ALL, but I have to use enough pressure that it's just unnatural to use it like that. I've had a macbook for over 2 years and it's only my new one that's has to have this pressure. As soon as I slide my fingers lightly over it, it acts all weird... Is this a hardware issue then? It WAS refurbished.

3. wjdennen macrumors member

I have the same model - bought it new. I too have the same problem. I've used laptops for years and have never had this problem. Very weird. I am planning on calling Apple.

4. Scuzzeh macrumors newbie

I had a similar problem with my old Sony Vaio. I tried reinstalling drivers etc to no avail. However I read somewhere it could just be a build up of static electricity so I wiped it with my sleeve and it worked fine again. Strange but true :)

5. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

Mine will frequently jump across the screen for some weird reason. It's annoying, but doesn't happen frequently enough that I would take it back.

6. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

make sure that any part of your free hand is not accidently touching the trackpad while your other hand is using it. I used to do that all the time, and the cursor would go crazy.

7. clarencek macrumors member

Fixed?

I think this is fixed. I had a pretty bad jumpy trackpad. When I tried to do any type of fine-level / precision trackpad work it would go crazy and jump erratically. I just downloaded the latest keyboard firmware update and have not been able to get my trackpad to jump!

I've been dealing with this issue for over almost a year now and I really hope Apple has finally addressed this issue. So far so good....

8. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I just got a replacement MacBook through AppleCare, as my old one had completely died. I'm experiencing the jumpy trackpad issue as well. I'm wondering if it's something that I should take into the store to get looked at, or if I'm just used to my old trackpad.

The only reason it's really annoying for me is that I use Sibelius, which is music notation software. When I'm formatting/laying out my scores, it's tough to get really precise placement of things when the cursor suddenly jumps somewhere that it's not supposed to go.

9. Moseslam macrumors newbie

Got the same problem WITH the kb update.
    It skips all over the place all jittery but smooth with the mouse.

MBP refurb 2.2

10. Nmasur83 macrumors newbie

I just recently started having the same problem on my late 2011 15" Macbook Pro. I found that if i just plug in my mac for a few moments, the problem disappears. Idk if this just grounding it gets rid of static or what, but it seems to work for me :)