MacBook tries to eject with no disk in drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by comchallenged, Aug 26, 2008.

1. comchallenged macrumors newbie

I know the optical drive normally makes the ejecting sound with start-up or when awoken from sleep, but occasionally my MacBook will continue attempting to eject (with no disk in the drive) beyond that. Also, sometimes it seems to want to eject if it is jostled and sometimes--although I'm sure, I do a lot of work with it on my lap instead of on a desk--when it is relatively still. I'll go months without it being a problem and then it will start up again, do it sporadically, and then stop. It just started again--with no inserted disk--yesterday. Any fixes? If it's just a problem with the disk drive, I don't mind as much--I'm more concerned about possible hardware/system damage. Is it a problem?

Please help!

2. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I have the same problem but I never really investigated it. I mean to but am a busy father etc etc.

I think if I do a full repair permission thing then it improves but I haven't really studied it yet.

I use IceClean to do my tidy ups.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/31818

When you open IceClean - don't press anything on the window that opens up but go to the Maintenance menu and go to "All Maintenance Tasks and Reboot"

This will take some time on the MacBook.

I should search more on this.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you have the menu eject icon? If you accidentally place your cursor over it, sometimes it will attempt to eject. Also don't forget that with slot-loading drive, when there is no disc in the drive, the it's called tray open (as if on a tray loading drive the tray is out). So that sound you hear could just be the drive "closing" the tray to see if there is a disc.

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

that sounds encouraging - thank you. I just wish it wouldn't check.:rolleyes: