Macbook Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Palmer, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Palmer macrumors member

My Macbook is not booting up. It shows a folder icon with a question mark in it and makes a clicking sound, but that all.

I’ve already mailed it to Apple to fix a similar problem before (logic board), but my warranty ran out in June of 2007.

I’m not sure what to do now.

Thanks

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

What happens when you hold down the ALT key when booting? Does it show your hard drive?

3. Palmer thread starter macrumors member

No it doesn’t show my hard drive. When I turn on my Mac and hold ALT I just see a grayish screen and it beeps.

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Insert an install disc and boot to it. Once it boots to the disc, open Disk Utility and do a Repair Disc on your HD if it shows up.

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Just had a look on google and it seems that this is probably a hard drive problem. Try what MBHockey states and let us know what happens.

You can also try and perform a hardware test by inserting the install DVD and holding down the D key during startup.

If it is the hard drive you can purchase a new one relatively cheaply. I hope you have a backup!

6. Palmer thread starter macrumors member

I put in the install DVD (which took 2-3 min is that normal?) and it did not see the HD.
    So my HD is bad? That’s a relief; I was thinking it was my logic board again.

Yes, I have and external HD with all my important info back-up

7. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Ouch. Sounds like a dead hard drive to me. If you hear clicking, that's a surefire way to tell your hard drive is dead or dying.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

What about the fact that 2.5 are portable drives,the clicking noise is the heads docking at frequent intervals to stop the drive f*cking up. I had a seagate that clicked away for about a yr with
    no issues what so ever( but im not saying that is the case here )

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Glad the problem was not too serious. The hard drives are pretty easy to replace in a macbook.

Here is a good selection :
    MACSALES

10. Palmer thread starter macrumors member

11. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

12. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

as long as the hard drive size is 2.5" (notebook) and has a SATA connection it will work which it does.

damn thats a good price for a 7200rpm 16mb cache notebook drive. i wish newegg shipped to aussieland :(

macbook's are unbelievable easy to upgrade their hard drives. heres a pdf tutorial from Apple.

13. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I think you have to look on this as a positive - recently my 6 month old MB had probs so I just replaced the HD and doubled the space! And the old one now gives me a load of storage space, a win-win situation.

With the MB it is very easy to do - just a few screws ;)

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

what about ones that are 12.5mm and not 9.5mm you would have a hard time trying to cram one
    of those in your macbook or macbook pro

15. Palmer thread starter macrumors member

I put in the new HD and it runs great.

Thanks for the help