macbook trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PhillyK, Jan 8, 2009.

1. PhillyK macrumors newbie

A friend of mine just bought a 13-inch macbook and it is doing something crazy. Random 7s are appearing in text ... here is the last message she sent me.

So... This macbook already77 has somethin wrong with 7it.77777777777 It randomly7 pu7ts sevens EVERY7WHERE! This isn't a j7oke... :(

Anybody else have this trouble? What can we do about it?

Thanks
    PhillyK

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ask them if they can create a new user account (System preferences>Accounts) and once logged into that new user account, does the problem still occur?

3. PhillyK thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that .. can you give me more detail about how to do it?

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Apple Menu-System Preferences-Accounts-"+" sign at the bottom which will let you create a new account.

This will pretty much resolve whether it is a strange software glitch in the User level. After that a complete system reinstall from the original disks will determine if it a system level glitch. If none of that solves the porblem then it's possibly a hardware malfunction. (I sense liquid damage or crumb in the keyboard or more than likely just a bum keyboard). If it's new then it is still under warranty and can be taken to an Apple store (make a reservation first by finding the store through apple.com) and having them take a look at it.