Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhodest

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
So whenever I move my macbook, it turns off. I don't know when this started happening because I always have it plugged in. When I tilt it backwards or forwards or just move it too quickly, it just turns off. Anyone have any ideas?

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I have no idea, it sounds as if the hard drive movement sensor is causing the machine to turn off, maybe some bad wiring of sorts. Check that it isn't due to overheating though because early macbooks suffered from shutdowns when things got too hot. Either way, get it checked out by Apple.

rhodest

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Well if I just picked it up while it is still on and turned it sideways, then it would turn off. It's not under warranty any more so any idea of how much it would cost to fix?

Solemony

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2008
Wonderland
It depend on what's causing it...it looks like it might be the logic board but definitely go to an apple genius and have them look at it...

zetzer

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
MacBook shuts down suddenly

My MacBook is 2 years old and in the last two weeks it just started shutting down, at the end of the day.
I followed a few suggestions I found on different forums, but nothing worked.
It's been getting really hot, not just warm. So, I placed it on a large ice pack, with a thin cloth in between. It's working. Now I just have to figure out what to do about the overheating. I keep hearing logic board, and/or take out the battery and reset. It's amazing how Apple just refuses to acknowledge the issue.

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
Mine's been shutting down when running on battery power - if it gets too low for awhile now instead of going into the sleep mode it's supposed to. The battery finally stopped working and I had to send it in for a repair with Apple. It's also been running VERY warm if doing any processor-intensive task. I would recommend taking it into an Apple Store if you're worried about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.