Macbook --> TV: include audio & video

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by andsomecement, Aug 19, 2009.

1. andsomecement macrumors newbie

Hi all! I'm trying to connect my MacBook to our television and have run into some trouble. It's easy enough to get sound; and easy enough to get the image of the external monitor for which the tv acts as; but to get both at once is proving near-impossible.

The same area on the back of the TV (ex. HDMI1 or HDMI2) only has one input and I'm constantly alternating between my HDMI cord and the audio one.

What should I do?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Don't use HDMI. It has both audio and video in the cable. Do you have a DVI input?

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Some TV's (like my Samsung) have HDMI1 labeled also as "DVI" or "PC" and there's a set of red/white RCA audio jacks along side it to accept audio.

My setup is UMB using MDP-->HDMI then 3.5mm minijack-->RCA for sound, and it's fine.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Right, but if it is just HDMI, then the TV will only play the audio from the HDMI cable - which would be none in this case.

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

True.

While on Monoprice for another thread though, I just saw that this is coming up soon: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

MiniDisplayPort+USB Audio-->HDMI. $37 so a little steep compared to non-audio versions, but pretty sweet.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, but not overly expensive for a HDMI cable.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think you'll still have to provide the HDMI cable. This looks like it's just an adapter dongle.