Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
I am trying to figure out what to buy, either mini dvi to dvi cable adapter, will that carry audio?

Mini dvi to dvi

or this mini dvi to hdmi cable? or have to do audio cables from the earphone port? Mini dvi to hdmi

audio adapter
I can carry audio through my hdmi output from my dvr to dvd player...why can't mini dvi carry audio?

holidaypf

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I watch Hulu with my aluminum macbook by using a mini display port to hdmi adapter to carry the video to a Samsung tv. I then just plug speakers into the macbook's audio out port. The mini display port does not carry audio, although I hear it is technically capable of it. You'll probably have to do the same thing with a dvi to hdmi converter for video and a separate line for the audio.

DctrJ

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Kanex iAdapt 51. I just purchased this for my MacBook Pro. You plug it in and it sets the audio and screen parameters automatically. You can close the laptop and wake it up with your apple remote and run all your stuff from FrontRow, or, you can use an iphone remote for Hulu etc. Plugs in to DVI, Audio and USB ports. You have to use the power adaptor to wake the closed computer with a remote.

Laurencia7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
thanks guys,
I might stick with the mini dvi to hdmi adapter, just because the Kanex iAdapt 51 got horrid reviews, and I am cheap. not willing to spend that much on something I might use a few times, plus the netflix box is cheaper.
I am really just getting the setup so my mom can watch movies from the internet through my mac, and not have to see my small monitor screen.

audio is just a bonus for me, I have computer speakers in my room that hook right into my earphone jack, but the audio is just for her tv. via rca cables I gather.

bluskale

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
I thought the current mac hardware didn't support audio over minidisplay port? I know the spec is supposed to, but I think its optional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.