MacBook -> TV?

uraniumwilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2007
I'm new to this but eyetv has been just fantastic for my Macbook-Pro-as-dvr needs.

Couldn't be any easier to set up for programming and auto record functions, etc.

Highly recommended.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Or just buy an Apple adapter to go from mini-dvi (the port on your macbook) to either DVI or s-video/composite depending on your tv's connection. Then buy an audio cable to go between your mac's headphone jack and whatever connection your tv has (most likely red/white rca jacks).

iMacBook

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Down by the bay.
Or just buy an Apple adapter to go from mini-dvi (the port on your macbook) to either DVI or s-video/composite depending on your tv's connection. Then buy an audio cable to go between your mac's headphone jack and whatever connection your tv has (most likely red/white rca jacks).
Grrr. More stuff to buy.

Alright. Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Too bad S-video isn't on these like it was on the Powerbooks. But that adapter is all you can do I guess. I wonder if there's any type of Expresscard adapter for it.
I'm confused...there's a lot jumbled in there. You can get DVI, S-Video, composite, or VGA through a breakout adapter for the mini-DVI port. Pretty analogous / better than the iBook G4 and PB12".

What else would you need / want to get via an ExpressCard? Why would you want S-Video anyway, when you can connect to the VGA or HDMI port on a modern TV?

Also the Macbook doesn't even have an ExpressCard Slot. Only MBP does.

Cifra

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
Posting in this thread because I have an additional question.

So if I buy the Mini DVI-to DVI cable and the DVI to HDMI cable for my macbook and connect it with my Plasma it should work without problems?
How about the audio? I though the HDMI would take care of the audio or do I still have to buy additional cables and hook up the audio separately?

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Posting in this thread because I have an additional question.

So if I buy the Mini DVI-to DVI cable and the DVI to HDMI cable for my macbook and connect it with my Plasma it should work without problems?
How about the audio? I though the HDMI would take care of the audio or do I still have to buy additional cables and hook up the audio separately?
Mini-DVI doesn't carry audio so you need additional cables for that. But the Mini-DVI -> DVI adapter and DVI -> HDMI cable should work just fine.