MacBook UK price increase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BBC B 32k, Jan 21, 2009.

1. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Have just looked at the new white MacBook on AppleStore UK and the price has gone up from £704 to £719. :mad: The price still includes VAT at 15% so this is unlikely to be a mistake.

Just because our currency is worthless I suppose. The MacBook is still cheaper in the UK now than the US at current exchange rates.

Still holding off for a cheaper AluMacBook :D

2. chapmac macrumors member

Its absolutely to do with exchange rates - a strong pound means that its cheap for companies exporting goods to the UK as they can buy more of their currency with a single pound. Now exchange rates have tumbled, the reverse is true and hence margins get squeezed unless they put prices up.

Given the large spec improvement even with the increase it makes the white machine look good value compared with the alu macbooks, especially as it has firewire and you can upgrade to a 160Gb disk for only £34.99 now to bring it in line with the next model up.

What is a shame is that over the last year or so when the pound was very strong against the dollar Apple didn't see fit to reduce prices in the UK - they been making big margins from us over the last year. But that's business and I guess you've got to make your $1.61billion from somewhere....!

3. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

yes it is to do with the exchange rate and if it continues to move in the way that it is doing at the moment then I could see the prices rising for the rest of the revamped lines (mac pro, mini, imac)

chapmac I think summed it up prefectly, also if you look at the exchange rate now the difference is only approx £200 when before it was closer to a thousand!!! :eek:

Still, as has been repeated in the other thread it's a welcome bump and also I am glad that they UK is not having to wait for this for any longer than the US

D:apple:

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The exchange rates wont stay this way, it wont be long (8 months) before its $1.8 to the £ again, so Apples just getting its prices up while it can.

5. amammad macrumors regular

There are NO guarantees of this. This time 10 or 15 years ago it was a similar rate and stayed pretty low for a long, long time.

6. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Still, it's only a slight increase for a much better machine. I'm tempted myself.

7. kid rock macrumors regular

my logic may be wrong here but if it is because of the exchange rate, then why has ONLY 1 apple product gone up?

8. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Apple seems to adjust the prices when they update a product rather than just adjusting prices overall.

Last iPod release saw the US price staying the same but the UK price increasing for example.

When the rates started to increase a few years back, I seem to remember the reverse happening (prices falling... slightly) when some lines were updated.

9. kid rock macrumors regular

true, but there is no evidence that apple did this because of the exchange rate yet there is evidence that it is because of the spec upgrade,

i just dont get why people think it HAS to be the exchange rate when there is no evidence, but a good point made there thx

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The price on the US Apple Store is still $999. If the price increase in the UK is for the upgrade then why haven't they increased the price in the USA.

11. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Because the price stays the same in the US but increases in the UK. So it's an assumption that this is due to rate fluctuation.

12. kid rock macrumors regular

there we go lol thanks guys answered that one, should have looked on the US store lol

13. TheMacPotato macrumors member

Yeah, wouldn't want to dent those profits would we apple?

:mad:

14. BBC B 32k thread starter macrumors 6502

Fairly sure that when we see the updated MacMini (very soon) the price will increase also.

Am I correct in thinking that iLife and iWork are more expensive also?

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes we will see a huge increase on the iMac, Mini, and Mac Pro. The last time they were updated was when £1=$2.

If the Mini stays at $599, I'm guessing £469.
    If the iMac stays at $1199, I'm guessing £929.
    If the Mac Pro stays at $2799 I'm guessing £1949.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes, they have gone up to £69 from £54.

17. TheMacPotato macrumors member

Crazy. You can buy Photoshop elements for the same price. i know which i'd choose: Photoshop all the way.

18. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Well, doesn't this just bring them back to the pre VAT cut prices?

I was expecting £749, since I am working in a business which is feeling the effect of comparatively poor exchange rates, and a £15 increase is nothing really.

Apple has done well not to increase any more - they could, of course, just hold the money for the time being in sterling, and then convert to $$$ when the exchange rate is right.

19. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Rate - China has a vested interest in supporting the US Dollar, and a lot of countries use it when trading, eg oil, Sterling is a few places behind in importance.

Increase looks like the VAT reduction being ignored, US prices are before Sales Tax.

I thought Apple used a long term rate of about 1.5 USD to 1 GBP?