MacBook Unable to Connect to Airport

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OmegaRed1723, Aug 25, 2009.

1. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

Recently my brother has been experiencing problems connecting to our network via wi-fi. He has a 2006 MacBook running 10.5.8, with all updates. Most of the time when he tries to connect via wifi, airport will not be able to detect any wireless devices. On occasion, his airport will detect the router, but with a very weak signal (one bar, even when the computer is right next to the router). When he tries to connect, he gets a connection timeout. Similarly, he is unable to detect or connect to our neighbor's unprotected network. If he plugs into the router via ethernet, he can connect to the internet without any problems.

The router is an Airport Extreme 802.11n. There are also two MacBook Pros, 2 HP laptops, an Xbox 360, and an Apple TV connected to this wireless router, and all perform without any trouble whatsoever.

We've tried erasing all preferred networks, deleting .plist files, etc., with no success. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas? Might this be some type of hardware failure? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. gacxx macrumors regular

gacxx

It could be a hardware issue. Have you tried calling Apple support? They are really helpful. And if it is a software issue, they will probably help you troubleshoot your problem. Also, just curiously asking, is your router set to wireless-n draft only?

3. OmegaRed1723 thread starter macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

The router is set to 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible) mode, because the Macbook and the 2 HP computers don't have N-draft cards. I haven't tried Apple Support yet, but that'll be the last step before performing surgery.

I really think it's the Airport Card that has failed, which is a simple repair. I can get a new 802.11n card for ~$80, and the installation is straightforward. The computer is out-of-warranty so I'm not concerned with opening up the machine myself.