macbook unibody 2.4 advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by beausophe2102, Jun 17, 2009.

1. beausophe2102 macrumors newbie

im currently using the stock unibody macbook 2.4.... 2g ram and 250 hd... now my issues with the computer is it under pressure (which is pretty frequent) it slows and also i do not truly like the drab colors its screen produces. Im a photographer and mainly use aperture... i occasionally use photoshop cs4 and for web design flash cs4 and dreamweaver.. now i have heard the 4g ram should almost certainly make my macbook a new computer when running these apps. when at home i dock my computer using a 23 inch screen (full hd 16:9 1920x1080) and use it in clamshell mode. when using this mode there is serious lag not only in intensive programs but even on macs native graphic effects. I again heard that when upgrading my ram it will effectively double the the amount of vram and pretty much solve this. My q is what is your update advice... (not hd im currently upgrading that as we speak)... do i upgrade the ram to 4g or 6g (which does provide a bump because ive seen the two in comparison). Does anybody feel waiting for this upgrade is better (i understand the prices will drop significantly im referring to the prospect of an 8g ram upgrade). also i was wondering is this even a comp i should be investing in for my need? i should be coming into 2-3000 soon should i just buy a mbp thats more capable? or invest my money in hds and other photo needs.... sorry about all the qs im just puzzled about what to do..

recap- keep macbook 2.4 and upgrade to 4g ram,6g, (or what do you think the possibility is of 8g)

upgrade to mbp- are the graphics that important or is ram all i need

2. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I have the 2.4 unibody with 4 gigs of ram. It flies for my wife when she borrows it to manipulate photos. The 4 gigs made a large difference.

3. nabatron21 macrumors newbie

ya i have the same exact comp and specs u have and see the problem with just have 2gb of memory it does slow down a lil bit with nrunning programs and u can monitor it by using activity monitor on yur computer to see how much yur computer is using up memory im upgrading my ram tomorrow just ordered a 4gb kit from owc they have a good stuff plus fast delivery too since i ordered it today and will be here tomorrow! so ya upgrade yur ram and see how everything goes! im pretty sure everythin will run fine but if now u should probably bump yur computer up and try and get a macbook pro!