MacBook Unibody Aluminium 2008 SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by littleebo356, Apr 18, 2013.

1. littleebo356 macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I wondered if you all could help me out. I plan to upgrade my 2008 unibody aluminium macbook to an SSD(i will also upgrade the ram at the same time).
    Can anyone recommend a good priced SSD that is reliable and will work with my Macbook ok, looking at anything over 120gb.

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp500

mine is the 2ghz model

cheers

2. simsaladimbamba

The Crucial M4 and Samsung 840 SSDs are often recommended ones, 256 GB can be had for around 150 €.

Also know, that you will be limited to S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II), but that does only take away from sequential read and write speeds, not from the random access times (latency).

I have the M4 in my 2009 MBP and have a Samsung 840 (both 256 GB) in my Hackintosh, both perform quite well.

3. littleebo356 thread starter macrumors member

cheers for the reply, i was just googling the m4 Now, i will have a look into the samsung drives too now.
    You say im limited with regards sata, will i still notice a decent improvement in performance over an hdd?

4. simsaladimbamba

Only the sequential read and write speeds (like duplicating a file or saving a file or opening a file) are limited, but 250 or so MB/s is still plenty fast for that. Where the real advantage of an SSD comes into play is the random access time (latency), since there is no moving read/write head involved, thus files can be found almost immediately.
    An SSD will be a big upgrade and make your MBP feel like a new machine.

5. littleebo356 thread starter macrumors member

cheers for the advice dude, much appreciated. ill have a look into the two drives you have mentioned.