Macbook Unibody Aluminum vs Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PiusPatronus, Jan 16, 2010.

1. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

Hello everyone!

Its my first time around these forums so please don't mind my noobness with regards with macs :D.

I am about to buy a macbook unibody (not pro) 13" but it is aluminum (I believe this is the discontinued one) and I was wondering what is the difference between this and the new unibody macbook pro 13"?

Cheers guys!

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

The MBP has an SD card reader, firewire port, and backlit keyboard, whereas the uMB 13" didn't have those.

3. maxeman macrumors newbie

I would wait to see if Apple updates them mid-February.

4. RudyGrow macrumors regular

Processor Speed, Backlit Keyboard (base macbook aluminium does not have it), 7 hour battery, Graphics card...

5. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

graphics are the same..

The 2.4 model is a decent contender with the 2.2 and 2.5 MBP models. where exactly are you buying this?

6. PiusPatronus thread starter macrumors member

PiusPatronus

I did see that the macbook one had 2.0Ghz and the regular MBP had a 2.4Ghz or something similar.
    Also, I did see that the macbook one had about 3-4 hours of battery life.
    Arent the video cards the same that being they are both nVidia 9400M?

Local classified ads to be exact.

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I've heard some iffy things from friends who own the unibody Macbook. All their battery covers were a bit flakey, not a deal killer but something to consider.

8. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I just sold my uMB (2.4 Ghz). It was a good machine that I used for a year. How much are you paying for it and is it used? Depending on your budget, the newer 13" Macbook Pros are obviously better and likely have more Warranty left on them.

9. PiusPatronus thread starter macrumors member

PiusPatronus

Its for $900 CAD with an extra magsafe cord and a mini dvi connector.

10. dellar macrumors newbie

dellar

Firewire

No firewire = no deal for me. MBP for me.

11. PiusPatronus thread starter macrumors member

PiusPatronus

I never used firewire (since I dont have a digicam) so if firewire isn't there then im good with it.

12. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Some of the unibody MacBooks had really bad screens fitted to them. Not all but some. Viewing angles were terrible on these and blacks appeared grey. The top end MacBook was 2.4 and had backlit keyboard. The base 2.0 didn't. All have same graphics card. I'd choose pro unless your sure your getting one with decent screen

13. kanpachi macrumors regular

The biggest difference would be the screen quality; the uMB screen was very washed out and had poor viewing angles vs. the uMBP which has a MUCH better screen. Not as good as the 15" and 17" uMBPs, but definitely much better than the uMB. The new polycarbonate unibody MacBooks actually have a much better screen than the uMBP 13" IMHO.

Also, if I remember correctly, the uMB does not have a fully covered back cover and instead has a battery cover area which notoriously had issues of being loose.

14. brendu macrumors 68020

if you are a student, or teacher you can get the new unibody macbook (white) for $899... I would recommend it because it has a better screen and much better battery (all other things being pretty much the same). If you cant get the discount, I would say its still worth the extra $100 to get a brand new machine with full warranty. That is unless the MB you are looking at comes with applecare.

Another possibility would be to check apples refurbished models, you could pick up that same macbook for the same price if not cheaper with 1 year apple warranty directly from apple..

15. PiusPatronus thread starter macrumors member

PiusPatronus

Thanks for everyone's reply!

I ended up getting a macbook pro 13" unibody. I must say the screen is amazing! Plus, the batery life is absolutely astounding!

Again, thanks very much to everyone!

16. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Like others have said, there's a wide range of differences. The biggies, however, are the displays. The current 13" MBP has a much better display.

Habitus :apple: