MacBook Unibody: Bluetooth Module Suddenly Not Detected?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stuff14, Feb 11, 2009.

1. stuff14 macrumors newbie

After searching the internet for anyone with a simiar problem, I was unable to find a definitive answer. I use an external monitor with my MacBook Unibody, along with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. The Bluetooth has been unstable for a while, with the mouse lagging all the time and sometimes not even connecting, but now my MacBook does not even recognize that it has a Bluetooth module at all. I can't select the Bluetooth pane in System Preferences, and attempting to open it from Spotlight warns me that I do not have any Bluetooth devices installed. Also, under About This Mac, there is nothing under Bluetooth. Any ideas? It's been this way since a restart today, and I have since tried restarting the MacBook multiple times. I would like to avoid bringing my Mac to the shop, because the only local shop is an authorized reseller, and I'm going out of state on Monday for the week and would like to have my MacBook with me.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Reboot. If that doesn't fix it, your Bluetooth module might have died.

3. stuff14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I restarted again to no avail.

4. meisyong macrumors newbie

hey i got this problem also. I have to shut down and switched on the macbook for the bluetooth to be working again. even restart doesn't help. this happen occassionally only.. not too sure why this happens.. :confused:

5. stuff14 thread starter macrumors newbie

This appears to have worked! When restarting, the problem would still be there. But upon shutting down and booting back up, Bluetooth was back on. Thank you!

6. kyrierobinson macrumors newbie

Shutdown / Start works, but Restart doesn't

This just happened to my 2 month old MacBook Pro. As someone else posted, I had to SHUT DOWN, not Restart, before it worked. Why, why why? At least it's working. But why did it fail? And why does shutdown and then start work,but not Restart? So weird.

7. caMeo macrumors newbie

Had the same problem on a MBP 13'' unibody (late 2008) and shutdown worked for me. Thanks.

8. Blacka macrumors newbie

Problem with bluetooth on unibody macbook

Hello all, and it is a pleasure to be a member here, I also had a unibody macbook and this problem drove me crazy, the lag of the bluetooth mouse and the sudden cramping out of the bluetooth altogether. What I found to be a fix after the restart did not work was to remove the battery(provided you don't have the built in battery version), and hold down the power button about 10 seconds then replace the battery and power on, you will see the wavey line through the bluetooth icon is gone and you have full bluetooth functionality....until next time it decides to not want to work. Eventually I went back to my black polycarbonate 2.4ghz macbook, as bluetooth continuous functionality is important as I primarily use it with an external display and full bluetooth setup. Hope this helps someone.:)

9. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I had this happen again two days ago on my unibody MBP. I opened the Bluetooth preferences, turned Bluetooth off & then on again & all is well.