Macbook Unibody Boot time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wh2332, Aug 13, 2009.

1. wh2332 macrumors member

Jul 15, 2009
    I have a macbook unibody 2.4 ghz, 4gb ram with a 55 second boot time from the hard drive starting up until the menu bar and dock are loaded. I only have a 5gb application folder, and no startup items. I run Onyx regularly and reset the pram about an hour before timing the boot time. Is this normal? Can anyone with the same configuration give me their boot time? I may have disk fragmentation and then would perform a full erase and install, but if this is normal, I may just do the archive. Your feedback would be helpful.
  2. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The first thing you might want to try is to repair permissions and repair the disk in disk utility. I have the 2.4 GHz with 2GB of RAM and my boot time is around 35 seconds.
  3. wh2332 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 15, 2009
    Did so. Everything was good except repair permissions never repairs a ton of things it finds. My boot time really sped up though. It usually hangs at the apple logo for 7 seconds before the gear pops up and this time the gear was up almost instantly.
  4. wh2332 thread starter macrumors member

Jul 15, 2009
    I do know that the additional ram slows up boot time though, so does anyone have a 2.4 with 4gb ram?
  5. Chozo macrumors member

Jun 23, 2008
    I have a Whitebook 2.4Ghz and 4GB Ram and I ran Onyx and all that. I only have Growl for a start up program and I clocked mine loading in about 43(display desktop)-47(hear hard drive stop working) seconds from button push.

I notice that it stays on the blue screen for about 6 seconds before it loads the desktop.