Macbook Unibody Bottom Plate

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bobriot, Apr 23, 2009.

1. bobriot macrumors member

Anyone know if a 3rd party make a complete bottom cover for the 13" unibody? The would eradicate the flip lock thingy I don't like.

Ta

Bob Riot

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think there is and I would think it would be a waste of money. I would get customers call in complaining about the old MacBook lock all the time because there were problems putting the battery back in and locking it the right way. The new latch is definitely an improvement and it's way more easy and convenient than the old style.

3. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

The flip latch technology is the flip door handle used in Aston Martins. Johnathn Ive probably took the idea from his Aston Martin.

Why would you want to get rid of this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

There's no market for this kind of product...

5. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

That top one would look so cool if it was exactly the same on the macbooks.

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

7. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

The styling. :)

8. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The styling on both are exactly the same though, it's just the colour that's different :p

9. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Haha. I know that:rolleyes::)

Just meant the colour AND style of the top one, it looks awesome, could just picture it on a Macbook.

10. bobriot thread starter macrumors member

No I don't think I explained myself very clearly, I mean that this would replace the entire bottom of the macbook to bring it more up to MBP kind of standard. This would be a one piece cover for the entire bottom of the macbook. I cannot think that I would be swapping out HD's or Batteries that often so a complete cover screwed down would be ace!

BR

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

So something like the 17-inch MacBook Pro? Even if that's what you meant, there isn't a market for that. If you knew someone who worked with aluminum or in that industry, I'm pretty sure you can design one yourself but I don't think it's worth the time and effort. If you're barely removing the battery/HDD, why bother? One or the other doesn't change anything especially if you're never going to touch the bottom plate.

12. bishopdante macrumors newbie

I have been looking at the bottom plate on this macbook pro and thinking mmm, with a bit of rapid prototyping gear & titanium one could make a very tasty mod-up which would house a whole world of extra space.

For example one could make a big fat RAID system, SSDs where the optical bay lives, and a second battery, would only make it like 2cm thick, which compared to my old quadra 950 is ridiculously tiny.

I'm trying to talk these guys into making some of their bonkers drives into a bottom plate extension object:

Hyperdrive (DDR2 RAM turned into a SATA hard disk). The possibilities are endless, and I can assure you it's well worth it if you're inclined.