Macbook unibody doesn't turn on, with either battery or power adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ciotorob, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ciotorob macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi everybody, I am quite desperate here.
    Yesterday evening I opened my girlfriend's macbook unibody to change its battery, that worked at 50%. I opened it and removed battery screws and battery connector, after that I realized that my new (not Apple) battery was a wrong model, so I sadly put it away and reinstalled the original battery inside the mac. I reclosed it, and after that the mac doesn't turn on any more.

It doesn't work with battery, it doesn't work with power outlet (magsafe), and the LED on the magsafe connector doesn't light up, it stays dark!!

I am afraid something happened to the logic board...

I have checked the battery with a Voltmeter and it seems dead... so maybe I have just damaged the battery, and the LED stays dark and the mac doesn't start for this reason, I hope....

I cannot do PRAM or power manager reset, since the mac doesn't start at all!!

Do you know if the unybody macbook can work without internal battery?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

• The built-in batteries on the unibody models are not user-serviceable and should be replaced only by Apple.
    • I would never trust or recommend a battery that didn't come from Apple, as there have been too many reports of problems with knockoff batteries.
    • Macbooks are not intended to be operated without the battery installed.
    • PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. ciotorob thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You say macbook are not intended to be operated without battery, I know, I just would like to know if it can start and boot without battery, even if it is not intended to work this way.
    SMC reset unfortunatly doesn't help.
    Thanks for your help.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Macs with user-removable batteries, they can be booted on AC power, but the processor will be throttled due to the lack of a battery. However, that may or may not apply to models with built-in batteries, as they're not designed to operate with the battery removed. I wouldn't recommend it. If you screw up a battery, that's about $130 to replace. If you screw up your logic board, that's around $750. Proceed at your own risk.

5. ciotorob thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to operate it without battery, but since it doesn't turn on any more (with Apple battery), I just wonder if maybe the battery has gone and the logic board is OK but simply the computer cannot start without battery.