Macbook unibody feet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quake, May 13, 2009.

1. quake macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So i'm kind of new here...and kind of new to macs as well, although I have always admired their design and functionality. I recently received, as a graduation present, a new unibody macbook pro 15 in. I noticed recently that the black rubber feet on the bottom tend to scuff easily and develop small spots due to wear. I've been searching for this issue extensively and have found nothing, but I wanted to know if anyone has encountered a problem with excessive wear of the feet on the unibody macbook. I just don't want them to wear down to a point at which the bottom of the macbook contacts the surface I place it on. I ordered a incase black satin hardshell because it has rubber pads for the feet...and i'm also completely ocd about scratches, although, I heard some claims that these hardshells can scratch the macbook by themselves. I would appreciate input on this issue as well.

Thank You

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

The feet are going to wear down, thats why they are made of rubber. Since the computer is made out of Aluminum, they can be scratched by other metals. I am OCD as well, but as long as you take care of it, then you should be golden, just don't over obsess about it, and you will be fine.:cool:

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the new satin hardshells seem to be a huge improvement over the previous gen.

grabbed one for a 17" unibody and picking up one for a 15" unibody.

my notebooks have the wear on the rubber pads as well.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If they wear down or break off give AppleCare a call; they're covered under warranty.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's better to have the feet worn then your computer bottom worn down.

I wouldn't fret.

6. entergreenland macrumors newbie

For my powerbook I've got bigger rubber feet that you stick on yourself and they have barely worn at all, maybe there are such things for the new unibody macbooks?

7. reese.reimers macrumors newbie

Have they released 17" Unibody hardshells yet?

8. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

If you rotate em at regular intervals, you'll get better wear out of em.

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yes, both satin and regular plastic.

i'm gonan try & pick one up this coming week.

mygearstore.com is backordered but has them available for $40 +shipping and about $50 on speck's site.

10. bizzle macrumors 6502a

You better start a class action lawsuit! Just like those people who complained the white Macbook's feet had green spots after wearing.

11. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

The little feet on the unibody are so small to begin with. But, my little rubber feet haven't worn down at all (I've had my laptop since October). They're all scratched up, but they haven't actually gotten any smaller.

12. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Guys.. they're on the bottom of the machine.. they were meant to wear. Just don't look at them. ;)