MacBook Unibody keyboard/trackpad repair issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bgmckinney, Jan 13, 2010.

1. bgmckinney macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm new here. I have a question that isn't particularly complicated, but that may take a few paragraphs to explain.
    A few months ago I spilled wine across the keyboard of my MacBook unibody. I cleaned it up immediately but the cursor was frozen when I finished. I restarted the computer, which took slightly longer than usual to load, and found myself unable to log in. When I attached an external keyboard and mouse, I found that five keys - from V up to 5 - were not working, and that the trackpad responded to a click but would not register motion.
    Knowing that the liquid damage had voided my warranty, and unable to afford an expensive repair, I decided to open up the computer and see what I could see. There were a few small patches of gunk on the motherboard, which I cleaned off with alcohol. Otherwise everything looked ok. After the cleaning nothing changed - 5 bad keys, no touch sensitivity on the trackpad.
    I assumed at this point that the wine had damaged the keyboard/trackpad unit. For Christmas I received the money to purchase a replacement topcase, which I installed myself. After replacing the topcase I found, to my considerable surprise, that the new keyboard functioned perfectly, but that the trackpad STILL remained insensitive to motion and registered only clicks.
    At a loss, I wondered if I had somehow shorted out a connection on the motherboard. When I consulted the mac expert who sold me the topcase, however, he said that it was unlikely that the keyboard and the clicking function would work, and the touchpad function not work, because of a motherboard issue. He suggested that my trackpad had somehow become disabled.
    So, that's where I am. I have run the Mac hardware check, which says that everything is fine. I have booted my computer in safe mode. I have booted from the OSX CD. Can anyone help me, either by suggesting another step, or confirming that the problem does somehow lie with the motherboard?
    Many thanks,

Brendan

2. otko macrumors newbie

If you spilled wine on it, and fixed the part you spilled wine on and it's still giving you issues then it's probably not something you can fix with your install disc. Try creating a new admin account and see if your trackpad responds in the new account. Did the guy that fixed your topcase even look at the logic board or anything? Did you get in there and clean anything up?

3. otko macrumors newbie

If you spilled wine on it, and fixed the part you spilled wine on and it's still giving you issues then it's probably not something you can fix with your install disc. Try creating a new admin account and see if your trackpad responds in the new account. Did the guy that fixed your topcase even look at the logic board or anything? Did you get in there and clean anything up?

4. bgmckinney thread starter macrumors newbie

No movement in a separate admin account. No, no one has looked at the logic board except a friend of mine. We did clean off some gunk which was probably wine - tiny drops here and there and on some contacts - but none of our cleaning seemed to affect anything.