MacBook Unibody memory upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ramasjang, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ramasjang macrumors member

Hi

Just ordered 2 x 2GB memory for my MacBook.

I did replace the hard drive when I bought it, but did not have the right screwdriver, so ended up ruining the screws...

So can some one please tell me what screw drivers i need to succesfully do this upgrade?

2. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

You need a Phillips #00 (not #0 and not #000 - they are different) for the Memory Upgrade and both that and a Torx T6 for the Hard Drive. If the screws are stripped it may not help you at this point though.

You can get a tool kit from macsales.com and RadioShack also has a 17 piece screwdriver set that has Phillips #00 and Torx T6 bits for unibody Macbook upgrades (both under $20 as I recall)

3. Ramasjang thread starter macrumors member

Hi Jim

Thanks for you answer, could you maybe drop a link to that kit?

Looked at there hp, but could not find it.

Thanks again much appreciated.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you just go to yuor local hardware store, you'll be able to find each screw driver for cheap. I bought the T6 for $2.99 and the #00 for $1.

5. apeacock macrumors member

FYI - It's a Torx T6 for the unibody ones and a T8 for the older ones (I'm not sure exactly when the switch was made, but my first gen black macbook uses a Torx T8). I'm assuming the parent has an aluminum (due to the 4 GB ram), but if anyone else stumbles on this thread looking for the screwdriver it might be different.

6. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a