Macbook Unibody mid 2010 RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JonnieLott, Feb 21, 2014.

1. JonnieLott macrumors newbie

Hi!

I was going to upgrade the RAM in my Macbook Unibody mid 2010 using the 4GB one that came with my other laptop, a Compaq Presario CQ57, seeing as it had the double RAM than the Macbook.
    I managed the switch successfully but ended up with the RAM beep and blinking light. What went wrong? Not compatible or just something went wrong in the process?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The RAM between the Compaq Presario CQ57, and your MacBook Mid-2010 SHOULD be interchangeable.
    Did you try reseating the RAM in the MacBook? The final seat can take a firmer push than you might think. Pull both chips out, then swap the positions. Even better, insert one chip at a time, and try booting after each install.

3. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is the Compaq's RAM is a simple one with 4GB, and I think I read that the Macbook has to have two 2GB to work properly. Is there any truth in this?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No truth that idea, matched pairs ( or even two RAM chips of any mix of supported sizes) all should work OK.

Your MacBook will run fine with a single RAM chip in place.
    You DO need to make sure that whatever your RAM chip - that you make sure the chip is firmly seated in place.
    You can upgrade your MBPro with a pair of 8 GB chips, for a maximum of 16 GB (if you want to do that)

5. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it is no Macbook Pro, it's a Unibody from mid 2010. Max RAM is 4GB according to apple.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sorry, I mis-typed. I did know that you have a mid-2010 MacBook, which (according to other sources, such as OWC, and the great Mactracker app.) can take up to 16 GB max.

7. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try it again tomorrow! If I only have one RAM in it, which slot would you recommend putting it in?

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Use the slot that works :D
    If you put only one chip in, use either slot, there's no difference.

9. JonnieLott thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any harm in trying to replace it? Could any permanent damage be done? It was my brother who tried to change it the last time, but it seems quite easy and there are guides on Apple's website so I suppose it's not that difficult?

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you have to work quite hard to damage the slot itself.
    More likely that one (or both) cards are simply not completely seated.
    Use a firm push in the direction of the socket to get the card fully seated.
    I suggest making several attempts (remove/insert at least two times) which may help you get a good "feel" for the effort that is needed. (it will likely need a firmer push than you might expect)
    I sometimes use a flat (straight edge) screwdriver to gently push on each corner, alternating corners on each push. That may help get that last little movement. You may even notice a mild "click" when the chip is seated properly. (be cautious when using metal tools for this, and only as a last resort)
    When you are pushing in line with the socket, I doubt you will be strong enough to cause any damage. If the chip goes in at a wrong angle, and you cause the socket to rip loose from the logic board, you won't have to guess, it will probably come completely free, and you'll just have a non-repairable mess.

11. repentix macrumors regular

quick question: can you actually put one compatible ddr3 1066mhz sodimm and another unsupported 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 sodimm in the mid 2010 macbook to total up the ram to 12 gigs?

12. chrfr macrumors 603

The mid 2010 Macbook (and the 13" Macbook Pro from 2010) will only work with PC8500 1066MHz RAM. Anything else will cause instability and/or not be recognized properly. There is something about the Nvidia chipset in those which is especially particular about RAM speeds.

13. drindia2014 macrumors newbie

I also have issue with 8 Gb ram in my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro

I have mid 2010 13 " macbook pro 2.4 Ghz 4Gb RAM. I purchased transcend 8Gb (2x4Gb) ddr3 1066 cl7 RAM(Model JM1066KSN-4G). When I install both new RAM, macbook do not start (screen remains off) but when I use one native ram (2Gb) and one new (4Gb) it works and shows 6 Gb ram. I follow instructions for RAM installation but unable to upgrade to 8 Gb RAM. Plz suggest solution.
    Thanks a lot in advance

14. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Sounds as if the Transend ram is not actually PC8500 ram. I assume you have tried both 4GB sticks with an original 2GB and both times it starts up and shows 6GB ?

If that is the case then you will need to return the ram since it is not PC8500 ram. Try each of the 4GB sticks on their own (no 2GB stick in the MacBook) and check that it does not start up. Pretty certain it wont !

The 2009/2010 Unibody MacBooks need at least 1 stick of PC8500 in the ram slots to startup. The other stick can be PC8500, PC10600 or PC12800......

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For the four 2010 white Macbook 7,1 units I have refurbed, I put in 8GB of Crucial memory from B&H. Never a problem. The price is $76.

Crucial CR8S38500MK
    8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-pin SODIMM DDR3 PC3-8500 Memory Module Kit for Mac