Macbook Unibody refurb problem!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jamesjingyi, Apr 2, 2012.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

So i am currently refurbing a macbook unibody from 2008 2.0Ghz core 2 duo 4GB Ram and a 60GB Hdd. I bought it off ebay for around £250. It has a broken bottom case, most keys on the keyboard done work, the battery doesn't hold a charge and the trackpad doesn't click. I took it apart last night to have a lookie at the insides and found corrosion on the screws, a possible sign of water damage, some of the bottom casing also had been superglued to gather so i had to rip it apart (no damage). Also, some connectors were missing off the bottom of the logic board. Suddenly, sparks came from the right, bottom are, next to the ram. I had no battery in but suddenly noticed that in my urgency to look at this machine, i had left the charger in. Now, all i see is a very dim magsafe light ad it won't boot :( (it did before). Any ideas guys??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sounds like the logic board is toast. Considering the condition, it sounds like you overpaid.

3. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Do you think so? I thought it was a good deal at the time :(. Anyway, i ve bought it. THe logic board was fine a few days ago, the machine was booting and working ok.... If i could get it to boot again, i would be happy... for a while....

4. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I was wondering.. should i take it to apple?
    Would they do anything or just ask me for my card....

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can test it to see what the problem is without charging you, but they would charge for any repairs.

6. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I really doubt apple will help at all, other than taking a large payment. I think you are unfortunately from what you have said, out of luck with this one. Maybe stick it back on ebay and try to recoup some of the money?

7. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Yeah... maybe... It was working you see... a short circuit... will that repair itself if i wait or what?
    If I were to remove the logic board, is there a way to check if it is working?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you turn it on, does anything work? Caps lock key light?

9. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

OMG OMG OMG!!! Just plugged in the magsafe connector and it is a full green! Oh wait.... oh darn.. it went dim and dim and dim :(... Is this a sign of life?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. Read my last question.

11. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Before the short circuit, the thing booted and it did everything i wanted... Apart from all the keys from q-l didn't work and none of the shift, caps lock etc. Then the short circuit killed everything

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd say it's probably 99% certain the logic board is dead. You're looking at around $600-700 to get it replaced.

13. jamesjingyi thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Its a macbook alu... not a mbp... cheaper probs.. i saw one for about £200 but sheeeesh... high!! Um do u think i might be able to get it repaired?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With enough money, almost anything can be repaired. Take it to Apple and see what they say. It's impossible to give more specifics in a forum. A tech needs to get hands on the Mac to check it out.