Macbook Unibody Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waloshin, May 1, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

What is wrong with this screen as in screen quality, not glare.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Absolutely perfect IMO. What screen model is that? Your screen looks way better than the screen on my Alu MB.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

There's nothing wrong with it, just in comparison with the MacBook Pro/MacBook Air, it's of lesser quality. Doesn't mean it's useless or broken...

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

The screen model is: 9C8C, the screen isnt calibrated, so what software and profile would make the screen look better is possible?

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Your screen definitely looks a lot better than the 9C89 screen on my Alu MB based on your photos. :)

Screen calibration profiles are all subjective. It is hard for me to tell you which one is better because everyone has different opinion/preferences. One thread you may find useful is the following:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594528

6. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

Your screen does look really good. I am looking to pick one up soon, is this brand new or did you pick this up on the refurb side of Apple life?

7. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

It looks slightly washed out to me, but that might be because I've grown accustomed to the 2.2 gamma setting. You might try adjusting to 2.2 and see if that suits your taste better.

8. r.kirkerrr macrumors member

when abouts did you buy your macbook?

i've been floating around the topic of screen quality on these bad boys, and found something interesting.

it appears to be that fairly recently, apple has started to use much higher quality screens on all macbooks, although it could take a while for them all to filter in and get rid of the 'not so good' screens.

here is a link to someone's picture of his 9CA8 screen against his old blackbook.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7544826&postcount=1157

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I wasn't happy with my uni macbook screen, but even the 1st gen was better than my friend's one year old (intel graphics) whitebook.

Agree with the suggestion to try a screen calibration profile on the threads for your model screen. That will help.

10. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

the only thing i dont like about the macbook screen is the pathetic contrast ratio and poor vertical viewing angle. other than that the colours look great.

I also have a good quality external monitor so i can definitely appreciate how inferior the macbook screen is in the black and viewing angle departments.

11. Piaget macrumors member

I've had the unibody since it came out.

Bottom line, it produces some very vibrant colours and is nice and bright, especially compared to the white macbooks.

However, the poor black levels make it less than ideal for movies. And if you don't like glossy screens, don't get the unibody.

If you can afford an external monitor, I would definitely recommend one.