MacBook Unibody White - any widespread problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Pax, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Pax macrumors 6502a

Thinking of purchasing one of the new Unibody white MacBooks.

But I got badly burned when I bought the original MacBook the day it came out. Lots of Rev A problems...
    - overheating / shutting down requiring new mainboard
    - cracking case requiring replacement
    - battery lost its capacity, another replacement
    - backlight inverter flickers.

Am I relatively safe buying the newest MacBook? Has anyone seen any reports of widespread Rev A type problems? I've searched but can't find anything.

Thanks

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have one of the white unibody macbooks and it has been fine. Great screen and the battery life is exceptional. I have no idea about the case cracking on this one due to the new design but I can't see it happening with this latest design.

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

4. skiiiii664 macrumors newbie

Electrical Shocking Sensation

Test it out at the store and put your palms on the pads when you type.
    See if you feel electrical pulses running through your hands and fingers.
    I have a new MacBook Pro (aluminum casing) and this is happening to me and many other people.
    I went to the store thinking I would get the MacBook with the plastic casing.
    Same thing on all of their notebooks.
    I would definitely check into this before purchasing.

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

your getting that electricity problem because your not using the 3 prong grounded plug, if you still do get it bring it back to a apple dealer, that should not be happening.

as for the new macbook, a custome brought one in for getting software loaded, its a sweet unit, i was fairly impressed, but the glossy top could become a issue for scratching.

6. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I've had mine about two weeks so far. Carried it around with me in a case and so far no problems scratching. What I do like is I'm outside right now in the bright sun light and the screen is easy to see:)

7. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I had mine since launch, the best macbook that i have had to date, no problems and its silent.Even the screen is nicer then my current model 15" MBP.

8. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Not everyone needs it or want it, and how is that a widespread problem?

I know someone who has one and they love it so far

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Dirty bottom syndrome. :p

No but I think the new MacBook is pretty solid. Apple learned a lot from the first MacBook design and I think this new model will have significantly less problems, even the Rev A.

10. direzze macrumors member

It might be a little early for things like cracking, so that's probably why you haven't heard anything

But I'm sure Apple was aware of the problem on the previous model and has corrected it

It's the risk you take with plastic, but I think the chances are pretty slim now

Otherwise, wait a bit longer, see if any new threads come up :p

11. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Sure it wasn't the hard drive vibrating? I've ran into that problem before.

12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

It was a joke.

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Won't happen with plastic cased laptops unless you touch a metal screw or something else on the case. I have this on my MBP too and it doesn't change with grounding or not. It even happens on battery. I put stick on plastic palm covers and rarely feel it anymore since I am not not touching metal all the time. I thought I was imagining it until I read lots of other people mentioning it. It is peculiar indeed and very real...but not an issue for the plastic MB.

Mind you this isnt the snapping static shock you get when touching a doorknob after walking in socks on carpet...I have touched my lid and been popped like that before but that's just static. I know what you mean and if you search so do lots of others...it's a tingling that is clearly coming from touching the metal. It's one of those topics people who don't experience it call ridiculous but it's very real.

14. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I apologize, just so people are hung up over that I couldn't tell

15. cray macrumors newbie

I have had one of the new Macbooks for over two weeks and so far I am very happy with it.

I should say this is my first mac, but I am already well pleased with build quality and ease of use.

It has not happened, but with the white color there could be problems with dirt.

I feel with the unibody construction is very sturdy and it does not feel "cheap."

Now if I can just get my network printers to work. :)

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Whats wrong with the printers? Are you doing printing wireless?

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

No worries, without the smileys it is hard to fathom.

18. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I think the case wont be a problem this time around.

I would say in the next week or so as more machines hit the market, you will hear of any design problems. But so far there has not been much of anything but happy users out there

19. Pax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. Good idea to wait a couple of weeks. As I recall, it only took a few weeks before the overheat/shutdown problem with the original 'books became known.

20. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Stop worrying go buy it and if you have any problems return it.

21. cray macrumors newbie

I have a Canon MX860 running on a XP machine and so far have not found a good driver for it. The macbook connects wireless to the router.

I have a Canon MP500 that I can use, but I lose duplex printing. It is connected to a XP machine too.

BTW, do not want to hijack OP's thread. :)

22. laurimac macrumors newbie

indented scratches

I have had the new unibody macbook white for 3 weeks now and I have a problem with scratches. On the palm rest and right down the sides and at the edge of the multi- touch pad I have the imprints of the macbook screen, obviously from when the my mac is closed.
    Has anyone else noticed this problem, it is almost like an impression of screen surround on the lower inside surface. Apart form these lines my macbook has no other scratches even on the palm rest....
    Do you think I should speak to Apple?

23. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

My co-worker brings his black macbook in to work and it has the impressions of the keys from the keyboard on his screen. I just put that thin paper filler (that came with my macbook) in between it before I close it/shut it down. I have it since the end of Oct. and mine is in excellent condition.

24. laurimac macrumors newbie

Yeah I think I still have that sheet myself, but it seems a bit clumsy that you still have to take extra care with white macbooks especially with all the problems the previous white macbook had with cracking when closed.
    The lines just seem to get worse with every closure, and its not just the outer rim that has imprinted on the lower panel its the entire screen frame inner and outer edge.
    I'll be taking your advice to prevent further damage.
    Thanks

25. patrixl macrumors regular

Border imprint on mine seems to be more a result of fingerprint/palm grease than anything else.