Macbook update before september?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bartoszbr, Jun 30, 2008.

1. bartoszbr macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the macbook (black/white) will be updated before september, or the end of free ipod promotion?
    Will it be a major upgrade, or just a minor update?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We don't know. It's Apple. It's likely. It won't be big. Don't listen to the redesign crowd.

3. Xtreambar macrumors regular

Almost certainly there will not be an update to anything covered by the promotion before the promotion ends. The promotion exists in a large part to clear out old inventory before Apple introduces a new or revised product onto the market.

4. umgolfer macrumors regular

My guess would be no. I always wait until the very end of the deal hoping to get a newer model in late August, but that has not happened the last two years. It's almost always late September/early October when the new one is out. I've never been really bummed about it though as you get a discount being a student and a free iPod. Sell the iPod on Ebay and pocket the cash for a nice, even cheaper laptop. I've done it the last 2 years and have been very happy with the results. In the big picture, it comes down to how big of deal is it to go from 2.16 to 2.2 GHz and a little more HD (or whatever the little speed bump will be this fall)? I'd rather have the cheaper machine...FWIW.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Don't count on it while the education discount is going on.

6. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

No one can give you a definitive answer I'm afraid.

If you NEED one NOW, buy it now. If you don't then wait until you do.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Why do you say this when a major revamp has been rumoured for months from pretty good sources?

I would expect a special event around July/August time for new MacBooks.

8. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

look at the buyers guide, its one of the tabs across the top here on the macrumors site

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because while it's been rumored, several upgrades have happened. The PowerBook design is still unmatched*; they have no reason to change it.

*Don't start with that Envy crap.

10. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

No way on God's green earth will Apple update MB's before the end of their school promotion.

I myself am holding out for a redesign of some sort, but Realistic Me realizes how fruitless that may be. The white/black plastic of MB's exist to help people visually differentiate between them and MBP's.

But I'm also not in dire need of a new laptop right this very minute so I can afford to wait. My iBook is still chugging along nicely but if it does go belly up (banish the thought) then I'll have no problem buying the current MB with the knowledge that the next upgrade coming down the pike will probably be negligible.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There is no way Apple is going to change the MacBook from plastic to aluminium. Two reasons: Plastic is much more durable than aluminium, which fits well with its target market and plastic is also much cheaper than aluminium.

12. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Which is true, but I can see them changing it from plastic to fit in more with the line.
    They did it to the iMac.
    The MBA got it, along with a black keyboard that also matches the iMac.

You could be right of course, but that's just my thought on it.

Besides, the plastic is fugly in my opinion. :p

13. logana macrumors 65816

logana

The MacBook is due for a re-design I think - but agree that it is unlikely before the current "back to school" promotion is running in the USA.

The similar promotion will, hopefully, run in the UK till the end of October probably.

Because of this my guess is early November - in time for the Xmas buying season.

14. Entourage12 macrumors member

Montevina will be introduced on July 14th for some chipsets and "early August" for others that will be using the integrated graphics. Therefore the Macbook cannot actually be updated until this comes out in early August and even then it is not like Apple to release their new laptop on the day of the chipset release.

Based on the rumours that are coming out citing the new LCD screens for Q3 (July - September) I think it is very likely that there will be new updates to the line before atleast the end of September. If you're dying to be able to use the back to school promotion you could always get the free ipod on the 15th of September and then you have a 14 day window in which to return an unopened box for no charge. This pretty much gives you until the 29th if you're desperate for the update and free ipod.

Another thing to look at is that the average (192 days) currently it is at 126 days. I know this doesn't mean much because of some of the other products that are well over this average.

15. bartoszbr thread starter macrumors newbie

would i get to keep the free ipod though? or would I have to pay the full price or return it?

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

They'll just use really cheap aluminum, the way they used really cheap plastic on the Macbooks. And people here will continue to chant "Apple is best" as their aluminum Macbooks begin to self-destruct, the way the Macbooks have for the last two years.

17. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

yeah why not use some Ironman tech :D

18. eman macrumors 6502a

Who knows if Apple will upgrade the MB, I'd like to see an upgrade.