macbook update? should I buy or wait???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pedroistheman, Mar 28, 2009.

1. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

So I'm finally ready to buy a new macbook but the MacRumors guide tells me the product is approaching the end of the cycle. Is there anything to back this up or is this pure speculation that the MB will be getting an update soon?

Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated. I have been waiting a long time for this but I don't want to buy right before an update.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please follow the forum rules. You can't think you're the only one to ask this question.

There won't be a meaningful update until Q1 2010. The miniscule clock speed jump, if it happens this year, isn't worth waiting for.

Aside:Moderators need to be banning people that ask "buy now or wait".

3. pedroistheman thread starter macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

thanks for all your help

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

some nice words of wisdom:

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Look mate, I realise Tallest Skil was being a bit snarky by adding that last line, but he has a point, the only feasible change to the macbook line in the next few months FOR CERTAIN is going to be small speed bumps/storage increases. The only thing worth waiting for is the arrival of Snow Leopard which would cut out that cost in the future. The real update that would be properly worth waiting for is the switch to i7 processors, which by Apple's standards could be sometime late this year if they're ahead of the curve, or early 2010 if they're slow getting the new processors in. Apart from that, no one really knows what or when new macbooks are gonna be released, so how about calming down a bit yeah.

6. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

Banning? lol. Get a grip.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

No he's right.
    I (and I know others) are sick of stupid people asking STUPID questions everyday. It's pretty ridiculous people dont understand the search function..
    99.9999999% of questions can be answered with a simple search.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I consider it a breach of forum rules to not search before posting new threads, as per:

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

And that clock speed jump will only be for certain CPUs.

Although even if the update improves clock speed only slightly, we may see larger updates for other components. Hard drive comes to mind.

10. pedroistheman thread starter macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

You guys are like the Nazis of MacRumors. It's cute how you all have "its already been posted" in your signature. Like you're on some sort of quest to ban all the people who ask questions you find stupid.

But really, it was a perfectly legitimate question to start with and I'm glad that a few people could offer their insight.

11. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Your right. It is a legitimate question...that has been asked 20 times before. Once a week since the release of the Aluminum MacBook.

12. skorpien macrumors 68020

Your question may be legitimate, but so is Tallest Skil's point. You can't argue that these forums would be considerably cleaner and easier to navigate if everybody searched before they posted. If you want to build a raport on MacRumors, I'd suggest being a little more civilized with your responses. Resorting to name calling will only make people unwilling to help you out in the future.

13. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Ok ... Everybody clam down and nobody gets hurt:mad:!!
    :p

14. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

Save the trouble and wait until Snow Leopard ships with the next refresh sometime near WWDC (June 9-12). Don't bet on my prediction, but it's a high chance it's gonna happen. Why impulse now when you can wait just a few more months for a release that has already been confirmed.

Also to everyone saying quad or i7 is coming soon... I cease to believe. Apple will most likely wait until these mobile processors come cheaper for the mainstream notebook lines. We might see it in the 17" MBP Q1 '2010, but not for the other MBPs and definitely not the MB options until later in 2010, at the very least. A BTO would be about right there. Heck, quad could be seen in the iMacs before the notebooks, if anything. Then it's the BTO for the 17", then the MBP 15", and slowly into the MB lines. I wouldn't wait a year for this. Even so, the quad core would be the low-end, and dual core now would probably perform better in some things, besides rendering. Maybe a 10-15% performance boost... if any? Don't bet on my words there either, but it seems that's the rate performance rates go up each refresh anyways.

Good time to buy the MB refresh in the summer with a free printer, and an iPod (if you're going into college like me). That's what I'm doing, and I'm looking forward to it. :)

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

In what language does √3 mean that? I wasn't aware that it was an offensive number.

16. ronalsk macrumors newbie

so, should I get a MacBook now or should I wait? LOL, JK

17. Jpoon macrumors 6502

No, but really.

This question is asked every week, every year, during every middle period between usual announcements. Hell, I did it when I joined.

18. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Do you find the current offerings attractive? Then it doesn't matter if new stuff might be coming.

19. relativist macrumors regular

You know, the OP's post sounded reasonable. He did check the buyers guide, and asked a question about it's reliability since a refresh may be soon. It's not like he did zero and asked a question. Maybe you guys that use the forum often need to take a breather, or something.

Anyway, IMO if you can wait for the SL and any other updates that could happen this year you should. It's very likely SL will be out this year. I'm waiting for SL to update from a Macbook to a Macbook Pro.