MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a follow-up post to yesterday's report that the iMac may see an update within the next several weeks, AppleInsider claims that Apple may be planning to introduce upgraded MacBooks at or around the same time.
The new models, which appear as if they could make their debut alongside a family of more versatile iMacs in the coming weeks, are expected to arrive as the most affordable notebook offerings in the Mac maker's history.

Together, the pair of refreshes should round out Apple's 2009 personal computer offerings and propel the company into the holiday shopping season with its most cost-effective lineup of Mac hardware to date.
While much of the report reiterates previously-rumored information, sources have apparently confirmed that the new MacBook will retain a white polycarbonate enclosure and that manufacturing of the new models has already begun, suggesting that the MacBook launch may come a bit sooner than previously thought.

Article Link: MacBook Update to Be Released Alongside New iMacs?

iGod 2.0

macrumors regular
May 4, 2009
Yes

I can't wait to see if Apple completely changed the design or if they just managed to even make it thinner because the present design is also awesome.

Comment

jonnysods

macrumors 604
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
If they are not making the MB out of aluminum, what updates are they going to give it?

I can't wait for the MBP 17" refresh - whatever it is - and I hope it gets a slick GPU!

Comment

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
I hope they didn't sacrifice on quality

I'll buy one but I hope they didn't lower the quality of parts to get the price down. Or maybe Apple is ready to flood the market with MACs and really show how crappy Dell/Windows is.

We'll have to see! Merry Christmas everyone!

LanPhantom

Comment

Target362

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
Perhaps a macbook will come with a matte screen as default to please those who must use their computers in direct sunlight.

After all the macbook IS the low end model in apples laptop lineup

or perhaps the macbook will turn in to the tablet (new name, macbook name will be retire)

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm going with rubber.

I wouldn;t mind if they revisit the basic design ideas of 1999 when they had a lot of rubbery type stuff on the outside of Mac notebooks. Better than polycarb, and nicer to the touch than aluminum, SS, Titanium whatever.

Comment

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
If they did make the aluminum Macbook then it would hurt sales of the other notebooks. Apple does everything for a reason.

People will want it to be $599 but I bet it won't be less than $799 unless it uses the Atom CPU.

Comment

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Its plain and simple now apple wish to make the standard macbook as cheap as possible without compromising on its current quality, new gizmos n things wont be the order of the day, refining the manufacturing process's and using cheaper components will.

If they can get the macbook to 499 in the UK the macbook will sell like hot cakes

Comment

safasule

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Denmark
I wouldn;t mind if they revisit the basic design ideas of 1999 when they had a lot of rubbery type stuff on the outside of Mac notebooks. Better than polycarb, and nicer to the touch than aluminum, SS, Titanium whatever.

Indeed. Sadly, I can't see that happening as Apple is marketing itself as a green company, and rubber is a huge ix-nay in the ears of environmentalists.

Comment

MadMacxxx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Newport Beach, CA

Indeed. Sadly, I can't see that happening as Apple is marketing itself as a green company, and rubber is a huge ix-nay in the ears of environmentalists.

.... you actually want it adorned with rubber ornaments? Nicer to feel than aluminum?! :confused:

Comment

safasule

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Denmark
Its plain and simple now apple wish to make the standard macbook as cheap as possible without compromising on its current quality, new gizmos n things wont be the order of the day, refining the manufacturing process's and using cheaper components will.

If they can get the macbook to 499 in the UK the macbook will sell like hot cakes

I can't imagine Steve Jobs would _ever_ even consider doing that. I hear you, they sure would sell, and it would be a wise business move, but I can't see that happening as long as Steve's in charge. Mostly because he never ever compromises on his vision of superior hardware and software

Comment

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
And who still wants a polycarbonate MB? I think it should be aluminum all the way from now on...

I agree but for some people they like the white. Options are good to have especially in the world of Apple.

I'm not a fan of the white but to each his own. Updates are good all around to me.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.