Macbook update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alanswalker, Jan 16, 2008.

1. alanswalker macrumors member

I was hoping for a macbook update at the keynote but no such luck,

Should i just go and buy a macbook now or does anyone think an update is not far off?

i.e. new metal case etc etc, poss new screen etc.

2. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

it was just updated in November... chances of seeing anything major are far off

3. nilocalling macrumors newbie

nilocalling

The Buyer's Guide says "Buy. Product recently updated", so why shouldn't you? I think the MacBook Pro is up next and then there might follow a MacBook update. Don't think it will be updated until may/juni.

4. alanswalker thread starter macrumors member

i really cant justify a mbp cause of the cash i just dont need the power.

I may lumber on with my 5 year old SOny laptop that is painfull slow for a couple of months

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The good things with the Macbooks is that they seem to hold their resell value pretty well. It might be worth buying the lower end one and manually upgrading it, then sell it when a new one comes :)

6. TechGirl macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a new macbook this coming summer, but may hold off depending on what features they add (hoping that they do update the standard macbook line in may/june). My ibook G4 is chugging along fine, especially since I just installed a bunch more RAM.

What do you think will be included in the next update?

7. DCSMAC macrumors member

im buying a blackbook after the next MB revision, probably around may or so if the MBPs are updated soon. I hope it will include...

-Penryn (lowest speed one)
    -LED Screens
    -Multitouch Trackpad
    -Aluminum case (probably roughly same design as current one though)

it would be cool if they gave it discrete graphics, but i would bet my left nut that that isnt going to happen.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

I would bet that none of the things that you mentioned will happen.

9. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

The only thing that will happen will be the multi-touch trackpad will happen and the MB will still use Santa Rosa but it will be bumped to 2.2 and 2.4GHz.

10. DCSMAC macrumors member

if penryn comes to the MRP on tuesday, then it is 100% reasonable to expect it to come to the MB in may or june, when the MRP gets bumped to montevina.

also given the trend toward environmental friendly products i see at least an LED screen, if not an aluminum enclosure. the current displays contain mercury, which apple is trying to eradicate from its product line, and it is obvious that the 13" LED screens are available because they are on the MBA.

trackpad is a given, obviously.

i think come june it will be penryn, multitouch, LED

11. starman0147 macrumors member

I think all the stuff people have mentioned above to happened is wishful thinking. Why would Apple just release the MBA only to give all its features to their consumer product 3 or 4 months later?
    I reckon the best you could hope for in the next update is a speed bump, HD increase, 2GB standard (provided the MBP is 4GB) and a super drive for the base model. LED is a possible but I doubt it.
    Instead I expect a major update (LED, new case) to happen near the end of the year, maybe at the Paris expo or even at MacWorld 2009 when the Macbook should have Montevina inside them.

12. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

New MacBook models were released in November. Don't expect updates anytime soon. I say the earliest we will see MacBook updates will be in the April/May timeframe.

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Maybe since the OP is new he doesn't know how to use the search function.

14. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

lol Update in Jan? They just updated in Nov. There won't be another till early summer, if anything. It'll be something small, like adding multi touch (if that).
    Go ahead and make your purchase now, and also save a little to splurge on extra RAM because of the SR update :)

Cheers.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Considering that last year the macbooks were intentionally left without SR chips, I think we'll see a similar pattern again this year. The mbps must get Penryn chips first, and they must have them for some period of time so that there is a clear distinction between the lines.
    We might see this soon now that the macbook air is making use of the same screen size. However, remember that the current mbp and mba screens are merely LED backlit, not whole LED screens.

However, I still suspect that this won't arrive in the macbook line for another 10 months or so (I'm thinking the update before Christmas). There is still a cost prohibition from this feature from entering the mass market.
    I don't believe we'll see this for some time on the macbooks. The mbps have to see them first, and that means that there should be a minimum of 6 months where the mbp is "superior" to the macbook. At least this makes it easy to forecast when the macbooks will get it (since the mbp must have it first).
    Not going to happen. Sorry. Aluminum would destroy the design aspect of the mbp, and would lower the weight of the macbooks to the point where the mba would be a very tough sell.