MacBook updates at Macworld?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Coulter, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Coulter macrumors newbie

As Apple didn't update the processors at the October 14th event do you think we might see Nehalem mobile variants introduced at Macworld?

I really want to get one of the new MacBooks but i know i'll kick myself if they get updated just a couple of months after I've bought one.

Also I'm not sure how to find this out but will there be much performance difference between Nehalem and Penryn? They're both using the same 45nm process so surely there cant be that much difference?

Thanks

2. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I don't think so, think it would be too much of a leap in too short time.

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

4. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Exactly. I would guess we see Nehalem either in a november update next year, or if its delayed macworld 2010 :p

5. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

arent all new intel chips supposed to be amazing and then once they are released real world performance is about 5-15% based on application? buy now because who knows when they will be released.

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

There may be a minor speed bump, and if they're feeling generous I bet we'll see backlit keyboard on the base Alu MacBook as standard.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Minor speedbump at best. Nothing else should really change.

Wouldn't surprise me if we saw a major upgrade to the Air, though.

8. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I'd be surprised if we see Nehalem in MacBooks at Macworld 2010. Mobile Nehalem processors are to be released in Q4 2009 / Q1 2010. And then we don't know how long will it take Apple to use them. Also supposedly servers and high-end desktops will benefit from it much more than notebooks - mobile Nehalem CPUs are going to be dual-core and won't be using QuickPath. Clarksfield is supposed to be 45W, so out of range for MBs or MBPs unless they manage to deal with more heat.

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Dun think they would throw in the backlit in the cheaper one, because they know that is one of their main selling points for the more expensive ;)

10. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

intel is way to big to slow their releases because of apple. Nehalem is going to be so awesome, but I hope the size doesn't limit how well it overclocks. Voltage is going to be a bigger deal with this new architecture.

11. iMacmatician macrumors 601

They didn't? I'm sure they did, with a FSB increase and a speed bump for some MacBook Pros.

Intel is speed bumping the Penryns by 133 MHz in Q1 2009, so we may see a small update either silently at MWSF or shortly after. I can also see the 17" MacBook Pro being released with the speed bumped CPUs.

That's for the "Bloomfield" CPU, with QuickPath and 3 channel RAM. Mobile Nehalem won't have QuickPath and will only have 2 channel RAM, so I expect the performance increase to be less.

I've heard 15%~20% core-for-core improvement with Nehalem (I'm assuming uncore comprises the rest).

Mobile Nehalem is apparently 10 W hotter than an equivalent heat outputting Penryn CPU. Since Clarksfield is 45/55 W, we could see the low-end variant in the MacBook Pro.

12. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

That's huge! The MB/P/A are just quieting down with the Penryns. It's really disappointing if the new chips run hotter = much louder (fans).

13. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

people dont consider a 1066mhz FSB and 3MB L2 cache a processor upgrade?