MacBook Upgrade Advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ricksen24, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ricksen24 macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Was contemplating upgrading my Macbook Pro, its a 2011 model see the screen shots for more info.

First stop i was thinking was the Ram, the computer does lag a bit when i have more than one or two applications open.

Could anyone recommend me some decent ram sticks to take me up to 16gb for a decent price?

Im from the UK and dont really no much about these things!

Help appreciated guys :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Go to Crucial:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

They have a 'magic' tool that will interrogate your Mac and show you the compatible upgrades.

I recently upgraded the RAM in my mid-2012 cMBP, 16GB of RAM for less than £60 which is a bargain!

That's the upgrade to go for, if you have the cash!

3. ricksen24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Chris, will check it out.

How you finding the upgrade?

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I'd check on amazon.co.uk. I generally suggest Crucial, Corsair or g.skill. Just read through the reviews and see if you can find other Mac owners experiences with what you're buying. Often there will be a lot of good information in the reviews.

5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

For the cost, the increase in performance has been fantastic. I've noticed significant improvements in the speed at which applications launch, plus - and most relevant for me - the ease and speed at which I can switch between apps now, seeing as I tend to leave Safari, Mail, Messages, iTunes and a couple of other apps open all the time, and am also often switching between Photoshop Elements, iMovie and a couple of others.

The RAM increase has certainly made a very useful improvement to performance for me; best possible bang-for-your-buck (or Pound) you can get.

6. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

7. michial macrumors 6502a

michial

Just got my 16gb of RAM from OWC ( www.macsales.com ) in the mail and swapped out my 4gb stock in my 2012 cmbp 15" 2.3. It smokes now. No beach balls anymore. Wow. It was so easy. It took 5 minutes to do it.