Macbook upgrade or a new desktop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dirtydignity, Sep 30, 2009.

1. dirtydignity macrumors newbie

Ok, I'll start with how this question arose. I switched to mac (completely) and hence sold my windows laptop and desktop. I have a Core 2 Duo 2.16 White MB. It has a 13" screen. I'm learning new things everyday and love mac.

The major activities that i do are :
    Creating documents (MS Word on Mac)
    Watch a lot of movies
    Image viewing

And i was not happy to do it on a 13" screen. So i decided to get a desktop with monster screen. I'm buying a 42" 1080p screen for the desktop. This is where the problem starts. What should i do:

1. Upgrade my Macbook (RAM, HDD and save a lot on building a CPU). Hook the macbook up with the big screen. This way, i stick to mac and get a dual display.

OR

2. Build a CPU and use that with the screen. I can use the laptop for college and similar stuff. Drawbacks are, i would get back to windows (which i don't want to). Second, I'll have to synchronize desktop and laptop (i don't wanna use two computers :( ). The advantage is i can have a high performance desktop.

Advice me.

2. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be able to output 1080p without any problem ?
    I'm planning to put 4GB RAM and 500 GB HDD but the graphics card is GMA 950.

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

There shouldn't be any problems. People used the generations before the current Mac Mini that had the GMA950 as media centers connected to HDTV's. Your upgrades should make your computer faster.

4. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

5. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Its cheaper, and in theory it should work. If not you can always build the PC. (put in the RAM first to see if it runs to your liking)

6. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It may heat up because of the memory/hard drive upgrades. I suggest getting a laptop stand like the Griffin Elevator stand to have air flow under the Macbook and use an external keyboard/mouse.

7. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... i use a 1TB external HDD and the upgrade would give me another 500.... That solves the storage problem. 4 GB of RAM would be enough. I'm using wireless keyboard and mouse as of now.

1. I hope the video won't flicker and Griffin Air would keep it cool.
    2. Which LCD would you guys recommend. I'm planning to buy anywhere between 32" to 48" (bigger is better, 1080p preferred). Budget of $700-$1000.

Thanks

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

About the elevator tray, you don't need to spend $50 on a stand. I use two inboxes stacked on top of each other that are exactly the right size and have holes on the sides for the ports. It allows airflow, provides space to put the power adapter, a place to put the cords, and a place for my Airport Extreme all while being only a bit bigger than the Macbook Pro (13) itself and costing about $20. I got my inspiration from this article Lifehacker.com. I suggest you check it out, there are some great ideas on that entire website.

9. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Look around Best Buy.com or Costco.com, I suggest Samsung, Toshiba, Sony, or LG brands. Don't get Insignia or Vizio brands.

10. dirtydignity thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok... i have decided to buy a 32" Samsung for $650 cause i'm not sure 40" or up would be suitable for viewing from2'. What do you say?

Would the text be readable on 40" or more (Cause they basically are TVs)?

11. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Depends on the resolution. 720p HDTV's have a lower resolution than 1080p HDTV's.