Macbook Upgrade to 500Gb

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Abbs, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Abbs macrumors newbie

Hey guys!!

Im goin uni this sept to study Soft Engineering and would be buying a apple product 1st time in my life(Hve been wrking with windows all my life)...so i am going to buy a white macbook with 2.4 ghz processor and 160 gb hard disk with my uk student discount..My Questions are..

1. I'm thiking of having a Windows Vista Home Premium partition aswell bcz i love media center.So im thinking to upgrade to Samsung HM500LI...500 gb hardisk.
    *Does it work all right on macbook??Any problems with heat;speed or battery life?

2. I want to have 4gb ram.Is it really necessary for such a huge harddisk??

3. After i install windows vista,will i be able to use my old tv tuner on media center using the windows drivers on macbook?

4. Will self installation of ram and hard disk void my warranty??Bcz it can save me few bucks to buy SOUNDSTICKS..lol

5.Finally is there anything like windows media center on mac..like the easy accesible programme guide and stuff??

I know it's a long post...lol..sorry...but think could'nt be shorter.

Thankx a lot in advance.

2. sweet160 macrumors regular

sweet160

I too am interested in this but I was considering putting a Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 in it mabye.

Did anybody do this already?

3. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

I'm in the same situation as you but I'm getting the blackbook:D

1. I do not know anything about that drive...sry
    2. From what I know you'll be okay with 2GB but with 4GB you can't go wrong especially if you do alot of intensive work. I'd go for 4GB if I were you + it is pretty cheap upgrade less than 100$
    3. Never tried that
    4. I know installing new ram won't void warranty but i'm not sure about the hardrive tho
    5.Front Row, simply buy the remote(19.99$) and you get a sorta media center which is integrated witht OSX. Personally I think its better than Media Center!