MacBook Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thatsmyfish, Jul 26, 2012.

1. thatsmyfish macrumors regular

Looking for some input before I head to the genius bar this evening. I have a late 2009 2.26mHz white MacBook (rubber bottom) and the battery is past 1,000 cycles. I ideally would like the computer to make it to 10.9 and at least 2 more years so I am doing a battery replacement.

I have 2gb ram and do use the computer for video encoding, audio editing, screen sharing and do often leave it charging to work for a day or two on projects. Does anyone know what Apple will charge to do a ram increase to 4gb? I know it is cheaper elsewhere but I am not confident or willing to do it myself and there aren't a lot of convenient authorized resellers. I figure if I can do both for 1/3rd the cost of a replacement I can extend the life of this one.

Curious if anyone can tell me what cost I would be looking at and pros and con opinions on the upgrade.

2. simsaladimbamba

It supports up to 8 GB of RAM and it should cost less than 60 USD to buy the correct RAM (1, 2) and should cost less than 6 USD to buy the correct screwdriver and should take less than 10 minutes to do yourself.

You could also pay someone 50 USD for doing this, plus 60 USD for the RAM if you are really uncomfortable doing this. But in all honesty, it is quite easy to do, just remember where the screws go (maybe use an A4 paper sheet with all the holes of the bottom drawn on there and put the screws in its right place, I did so when I first opened my iMac to add a bigger HDD, though the second time was not as cumbersome anymore).

3. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

friend, trust us on this one. It is insanelly easy to upgrade the RAM. You take it out, put new in. Its that easy. And it is IMPOSSIBLE to mess up. Have no worries. I know you feel unconfortable but you should look at this as the oportunity to learn how to change RAM.

This link shows step-by step video how to change RAM on your ver own Macbook model:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13_09_unibody_mem/

Also, OWC or Crucial RAM is just as goods as Apple's (wich is Samsung in reality, btw) Here is a link to RAM for your model:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_White

Currently, OWC RAM is the most popular among Mac users, and they ship worldwide. Get 8GB, you will regret getting only 4GB. With 8GB, your Mac will fly and survive till 2020.

AS a Bonus, Im including how to change your hard drive. When you can afford, get a 500Gb SSD!

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_13_09_unibody_hd/

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

RAM is the perfect place to start learning about hardware replacement. I think you would really enjoy doing it - watch a video - learn how to DIY - very rewarding.

5. bf2008 macrumors member

You can also upgrade the SSD. From what I've seen, it may speed things up more than upgrading the ram.

6. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

Upgrade the RAM for sure. My Early 2008 Blackbook has 4GB RAM and is still keeping up, so your 2009 still has some life in it for sure.