Macbook Upgrade??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skidmcmarx, Mar 6, 2009.

1. skidmcmarx macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2009
    Hey guys,

I've recently had a friend offer me €800 for a my 2.4ghz, 4gb white macbook. I bought it in the states for $1099 at the end of July which at the time worked out at about €860 with the currency conversion so its not a bad offer at all.

The thing is tho, I have no genuine reason to sell my macbook other than the fact that i love the new alium macbooks, and that every now and then i do get the urge to want to play games but the GPU just doesn't handle them well enough for me to enjoy them.

Anyway back on point. I can, right now, get a brand new alium macbook 2.4ghz 2gb RAM for €1180. Which works out as a €380 difference. Would it be completely foolish of me to upgrade, or is this a pretty good deal for me??
  2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

May 5, 2007
    My vote is for foolish.

Given the current exchange rate vs. what it was when you purchased, your original €860 no longer goes as far.

Therefore the difference (you say it's now €380) pays for your usage of the computer. Accounting for the new exchange rate, do you feel that it has effectively depreciated €380 in 8 months? IMO, that's a large price drop for a laptop that has years left on it.

Oh, and isn't the difference €320, or am I missing something. Anyway, still not a very good deal.
  3. mbradyrn macrumors member

Feb 10, 2009
    "My vote is for foolish."

+1 for foolish -- I am tired of the carbonate -- it's worth it to get the new one, if only for the soul and nothing else.

( I bought the orig. ibook 500 G3 -- seems like a lifetime ago (10years?) -- go for the new.
  4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2007
    I wouldn't pay a difference of money to upgrade from my 1,1 (May '06) MacBook so I'm going for foolish. -GDF
  5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

Jun 16, 2008
    If you want the unibody aluminum macbook, then get it.
  6. skidmcmarx thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 4, 2009
    Guys. i really gotta say, i'm glad ye all said that. I just needed that extra reassurance that the macbook(i'm on a penryn 1,4 BTW) i have is still the ****. Like i said, the change would have been as much 4 cosmetic reasons as nething else.

I'm gonna stick with what i have 4awhile

Thanks 4 all the responses
  7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2005
    Decision already made. But I'd like to post my vote for foolish anyway.

If you're looking for bling from a sidegrade to the new model, keep in mind that nothing makes you stand out in a room like a gleaming white laptop.