Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skidmcmarx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Hey guys,

I've recently had a friend offer me €800 for a my 2.4ghz, 4gb white macbook. I bought it in the states for $1099 at the end of July which at the time worked out at about €860 with the currency conversion so its not a bad offer at all.

The thing is tho, I have no genuine reason to sell my macbook other than the fact that i love the new alium macbooks, and that every now and then i do get the urge to want to play games but the GPU just doesn't handle them well enough for me to enjoy them.

Anyway back on point. I can, right now, get a brand new alium macbook 2.4ghz 2gb RAM for €1180. Which works out as a €380 difference. Would it be completely foolish of me to upgrade, or is this a pretty good deal for me??

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
My vote is for foolish.

Given the current exchange rate vs. what it was when you purchased, your original €860 no longer goes as far.

Therefore the difference (you say it's now €380) pays for your usage of the computer. Accounting for the new exchange rate, do you feel that it has effectively depreciated €380 in 8 months? IMO, that's a large price drop for a laptop that has years left on it.

Oh, and isn't the difference €320, or am I missing something. Anyway, still not a very good deal.

mbradyrn

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
"My vote is for foolish."

+1 for foolish -- I am tired of the carbonate -- it's worth it to get the new one, if only for the soul and nothing else.

( I bought the orig. ibook 500 G3 -- seems like a lifetime ago (10years?) -- go for the new.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I wouldn't pay a difference of money to upgrade from my 1,1 (May '06) MacBook so I'm going for foolish. -GDF

skidmcmarx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Guys. i really gotta say, i'm glad ye all said that. I just needed that extra reassurance that the macbook(i'm on a penryn 1,4 BTW) i have is still the ****. Like i said, the change would have been as much 4 cosmetic reasons as nething else.

I'm gonna stick with what i have 4awhile

Thanks 4 all the responses

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
Decision already made. But I'd like to post my vote for foolish anyway.

If you're looking for bling from a sidegrade to the new model, keep in mind that nothing makes you stand out in a room like a gleaming white laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.