Macbook Upgrade??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skidmcmarx, Mar 6, 2009.

1. skidmcmarx macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've recently had a friend offer me €800 for a my 2.4ghz, 4gb white macbook. I bought it in the states for $1099 at the end of July which at the time worked out at about €860 with the currency conversion so its not a bad offer at all.

The thing is tho, I have no genuine reason to sell my macbook other than the fact that i love the new alium macbooks, and that every now and then i do get the urge to want to play games but the GPU just doesn't handle them well enough for me to enjoy them.

Anyway back on point. I can, right now, get a brand new alium macbook 2.4ghz 2gb RAM for €1180. Which works out as a €380 difference. Would it be completely foolish of me to upgrade, or is this a pretty good deal for me??

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

My vote is for foolish.

Given the current exchange rate vs. what it was when you purchased, your original €860 no longer goes as far.

Therefore the difference (you say it's now €380) pays for your usage of the computer. Accounting for the new exchange rate, do you feel that it has effectively depreciated €380 in 8 months? IMO, that's a large price drop for a laptop that has years left on it.

Oh, and isn't the difference €320, or am I missing something. Anyway, still not a very good deal.

3. mbradyrn macrumors member

mbradyrn

"My vote is for foolish."

+1 for foolish -- I am tired of the carbonate -- it's worth it to get the new one, if only for the soul and nothing else.

( I bought the orig. ibook 500 G3 -- seems like a lifetime ago (10years?) -- go for the new.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I wouldn't pay a difference of money to upgrade from my 1,1 (May '06) MacBook so I'm going for foolish. -GDF

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

If you want the unibody aluminum macbook, then get it.

6. skidmcmarx thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys. i really gotta say, i'm glad ye all said that. I just needed that extra reassurance that the macbook(i'm on a penryn 1,4 BTW) i have is still the ****. Like i said, the change would have been as much 4 cosmetic reasons as nething else.

I'm gonna stick with what i have 4awhile

Thanks 4 all the responses

7. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Decision already made. But I'd like to post my vote for foolish anyway.

If you're looking for bling from a sidegrade to the new model, keep in mind that nothing makes you stand out in a room like a gleaming white laptop.