Macbook Upgrades soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rauly Fingers, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Rauly Fingers macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First, I just want to say..... HI! This is my first post. SO, I recently made the decision to buy my first mac! I have been a windows user forever and now I need something more sturdy for Dj'ing purposes. Well my question is this.....Is it a good time to purchase a macbook? Or is there going to be a hardware update in the next week? I forgot where I read this, but I would hate to buy a macbook and have an update come out right after. Does any one have any info? Also, I would like to upgrade the HD to 7200 rpm and max out the memory. Does any one have any cheaper alternatives than the apple store? Thanks all!:D

2. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Hi. The best advice you'll get is the MacRumors Buyer's Guide which will tell you when each product was last updated, and whether or not you should buy :)

p.s. Welcome to the Mac world and welcome to MacRumors

3. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Never buy RAM directly from Apple because it is so expensive. You can find it much cheaper at Mac related websites/online computer stores.

4. Rauly Fingers thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya thanks, this i knew, but its the online stores I don't know. Is there a few stores that many go to? or ones that are at least trustworthy? Thanks,

5. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Although I've never personally bought anything from these sites, I think these online stores have a good reputation.

www.macmall.com
    and
    www.macsales.com

If you're planning on buying anything, I would research them further. Hope this information helps.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

do NOT buy from macmall. They do not accept returns for any reason, even a DOA machine. That alone is enough to disqualify them in my book.

7. DarkFlame macrumors regular

newegg.com kingston max out is only like 85 bucks on here. lifetime warranty.

8. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

9. Rauly Fingers thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Nichod macrumors regular

11. Rauly Fingers thread starter macrumors newbie

12. majorp macrumors 6502

There's a million threads on this.

IMO yes

13. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Apple Store is offline. May get updated today.:cool:

14. Rauly Fingers thread starter macrumors newbie

^^^^ This is a very good observation. I just hope its true because that would be great!:D

15. DarkFlame macrumors regular

wait for a macbook? they just got updated in november. how likely is they will not follow their usual pattern and bring macbook updates with mbp updates for the multi touch track pad?

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

To anyone in the market for a MacBook, now is a great time to buy as updates won't happen till late spring or early summer. We're talking May-July.

17. Rauly Fingers thread starter macrumors newbie

^^^^ How do you know this? Is it based on the buying guide? Just wondering because I am ready to buy and as I said earlier would hate to have an updated macbook come out right after. :)

18. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yes, and because it wouldn't make sense for another revision to be released so soon. The last revision was released two months ago. As for your second point, read my sig.

19. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Not really. I mean, if they are updating MBP's, which got added things in nov, then its not really /that/ unlikely. Especially with the multi-touch trackpad and such.

20. gettingmy1stmac macrumors member

Mac Update

Look for a Macbook update in May. If you look at the buying guide (link posted in another reply) you'll find that Macbooks are typically updated in November and May. Look for Apple to announce Macbooks with the 45nm Penryn processors in May. They will probably only put the 2.3 and 2.4 ghz chips with 3mb l2 cache in the Macbook and save the 2.5 ghz and up chips with 6mb of l2 cache for the pros. However, it will be totally worth waiting until May to get a mac with the new 45nm intel chips!!!

21. agentcircus macrumors newbie

Get your memory from www.crucial.com, get your hard drives from www.macbookupgrades.com