Macbook upkeep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kylep6190, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kylep6190 macrumors member

I will be buying my first Macbook soon, and I can't wait! But coming from windows, what do i need to know to keep it running great? Now I know some of you are gonna say nothing - it's a mac. But there is no perfect operating system, even if Mac is much better there must be some things you should do once in a while to keep it working good. Everyone needs a little housekeeping :)

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Repairing file permissions is a big one, before and after installing new software, to ensure everything is running properly. Search google to find out more info on that.

At a certain time in the early hours of the morning certain scripts run that take care of your mac, daily, weekly and monthly. It's not necessary to leave your mac on for these scripts however as you can get utilities that run them for you.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

As I understand it, that has become increasingly unnecessary with each release of OS X.

...And repairing permissions is overrated in my opinion. Can it solve problems? Sure, but people tend to overemphasize its importance.

EDIT: Although there is one thing you should definitely do: Calibrate your Battery.

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

When I saw the title, I was already typing "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" in my head.

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Hell yea, that was what I was thinking!

Other than that though... i really don't run anything on my system for maintenance. I repair permissions from time to time, and rebuild the directories on my external drives using DiskWarrior... but really, other than that... not really any upkeep needed.

7. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Keep an orderly filesystem (don't leave **** to pile up in downloads, on the desktop, or in document). This is more for your own sanity than anything else.

Keep a buffer of available drive space equal to 2x the amount of RAM you have installed.

Repairing permissions isn't necessary unless you are actually having an issue.

I'm not sure what you're really looking to hear. Mac OS X is far from 'perfect', but there really isn't much you should be going out of your way to do for maintenance. Same goes for any modern operating system, really.

8. portuglish08 macrumors member

Do you honestly recommend that for cleaning it? Or was that a joke?

9. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

The very first day I got my blackbook I put an invisible shield on it. It looks great and keeps it nice. Just a wipe with a electronics wipe and its perty again. I hated the store models of the blackbook taht were all greasy looking, mine looks like the day I bought it (which is almost a year now)

but one thing that helped me was to use an ext. drive with most of my data on it so my internal hd is mainly just apps. May not be ideal if you need to go mobile alot though.

GOOD LUCK with your new baby!

10. FunkyJunk macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

No joke. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is the not-so-well-kept secret for keeping the palm areas of your Macbook clean. I use it every six weeks or so - whenever the palm areas start looking a little cruddy. It cleans it up great.

11. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Purchase Macbook....Install Stuff.....Run Disk Utility...Calibrate Battery....Enjoy Your Cool New Toy!

It's just that simple!

Oh...and if anyone pokes the screen....cut their fingers off!