Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a USA plug to fit a MacBook AC adaptor please? I'm going on hols to America in September and would prefer just the USA plug instead of having to use an adaptor all the time.

Can't find any one eBay at the moment :(

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Unless you really want an apple version that plugs directly into the slot on the adapter, just buy a regular (non-apple) UK to North American plug adapter (for a couple of pounds at the airport or any electronics store).

The bulky white part of the power cord is universal voltage, so all you have to worry about is the plug.

kevbo111

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2006
I went to Germany this past summer and took along my iPod (with the Apple charger). I'm assuming this is same for the laptop plugs, but if you look on the white power brick, it says "Input AC: 100-240V, 50-60Hz. This is compatible with US voltage, which is 120V, and 50-60 Hz, and was also compatible with the power in Germany. All I brought with me was a plug adapter, which changed the US Plug into the German plug. I would recommend this over the Apple package because A)It's much more expensive than a standard adapter, B) You probably don't need all the plugs in the Apple package (unless you do a lot of traveling), and C) a standalone plug would be easier to use with the laptop adapter because (if they're the same as the ones here in the US,) they have the extension cord coming out of the power brick, and it's much nicer to keep that cord and plug it into an adapter than using the Apple adapter and having the brick plug directly into the wall.

What you'd want is something like this. You can probably get it pretty cheap at any electronics store, possibly even travel agencies.
k03.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.