MacBook USA plug??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AndyR, Jun 30, 2006.

  1. AndyR macrumors 6502a


    Dec 9, 2005
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Does anyone know where I can get hold of a USA plug to fit a MacBook AC adaptor please? I'm going on hols to America in September and would prefer just the USA plug instead of having to use an adaptor all the time.

    Can't find any one eBay at the moment :(
  2. comictimes macrumors 6502a


    Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    you could always just stop in at an apple store when you get here. Either that or it's possible that the apple online store ( delivers to the UK... not sure about that one though
  3. telecomm macrumors 65816


    Nov 30, 2003
    Unless you really want an apple version that plugs directly into the slot on the adapter, just buy a regular (non-apple) UK to North American plug adapter (for a couple of pounds at the airport or any electronics store).

    The bulky white part of the power cord is universal voltage, so all you have to worry about is the plug.
  4. kevbo111 macrumors newbie

    Jun 21, 2006
    I went to Germany this past summer and took along my iPod (with the Apple charger). I'm assuming this is same for the laptop plugs, but if you look on the white power brick, it says "Input AC: 100-240V, 50-60Hz. This is compatible with US voltage, which is 120V, and 50-60 Hz, and was also compatible with the power in Germany. All I brought with me was a plug adapter, which changed the US Plug into the German plug. I would recommend this over the Apple package because A)It's much more expensive than a standard adapter, B) You probably don't need all the plugs in the Apple package (unless you do a lot of traveling), and C) a standalone plug would be easier to use with the laptop adapter because (if they're the same as the ones here in the US,) they have the extension cord coming out of the power brick, and it's much nicer to keep that cord and plug it into an adapter than using the Apple adapter and having the brick plug directly into the wall.

    What you'd want is something like this. You can probably get it pretty cheap at any electronics store, possibly even travel agencies.

Share This Page